Fail - Windows Phone 8 basic functionality on Android - Updated

Tip us?

bowpay
Old
(Last edited by bowpay; 27th November 2013 at 09:27 PM.) Reason: Better title
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Fail - Windows Phone 8 basic functionality on Android - Updated

I've recently jumped ship from WP8 (Lumia 1020) to Android. I did it strictly because I am a mobile developer and need to use a browser that is mainstream. So far I am not having very much fun but I am giving it a fair shot. I like the idea of having flexibility but MF3 is a bitch stopping me from running roms. AHH!! Now that my bitching is over here's my question. I've looked for answers but being new to Android I see conflicting reports and understanding. Can I downgrade the firmware from MF3 to MDL so that I can flash 4.3 or 4.4? Answer is NO

Also here are my gripes about Android. Maybe someone can help me figure this out.

1. I have 3 email accounts (A, B and C) and on Windows Phone 8 I can create 2 icons. 1 icon can group A and B and the 2nd icon will show C. Now what I love is the unread count that shows up on both icons. Android has limited ability out of the box so I found a widget, notifiyer, and it seems to work good, however, I can not group A, B email and have C by itself. the icon will group all email accounts - crap.

2. I like the idea of having visual voicemail as part of the dialer. WP8 has this ability out of the box. In Android I am forced to install At&t visual voicemail. I am forced to open two applications and visual voicemail doesn't show an unread count - crap.

3. Top notifications - WP8 notification arive at the top of the screen and I can see some information about the email, voicemail, sms, etc... Android arrives but is hidden in the notification menu that forces user action to view.

Maybe one or all of these things is possible and I am too stupid to figure it out. At this point I am ready to sell my S4 and go back to the Lumia 1020 (kidding). Someone, Anyone?

HORiZUN
Old
Thanks Meter 132
I can tell you that downgrading from mf3 is not an option at the time of this writing.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Galaxy S4 | MDL, Unlocked, TWRP, Hyperdrive 13
Transformer Prime | Unlocked, NvFlash, TWRP, CM 11
Nook Tablet | Cyanoboot, TWRP, Rescue SD, CM 11
HP 4540s | Hackintosh, OSX 10.9.1/Windows 8, 2TB, 8GB
iPad 4 Retina | iOS 7.0.4, Jailbroken / Wife's iPhone 5c | Stock
Xbox 360 | LT+FW / PS3 | 4.46 CFW, 1TB / PSP | 6.60 CFW

sc00by71
Old
(Last edited by sc00by71; 27th November 2013 at 05:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Safestrap is an option to run custom roms, however it only supports up to 4.2 currently ( I have 4.2.2 gpe on my s4)
Hopefully we will see 4.3 and 4.4 support soon.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using xda app-developers app

carlosjcar
Old
(Last edited by carlosjcar; 27th November 2013 at 11:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Downgrade it's not possible from mf3 but you can use safestrap to install custom roms in some kind virtual environment and it works pretty much like the normal way.

On the icon parts, I think you can create different shortcuts on the main screen for that. I'll have to check and get back to you. I have many devices because I like to have the latest and I'm kind of a fanatic. I have a black lumia 1020 and a red 920 I have installed the latest developer previews and they are much better than before. WP8 it's nice and I like the live tiles but I get bored easily so I kinda hop from devices from time to time.

I do like the visual voice mail integration In wp8 but I use Youmail and love it you can try it in both Android and Wp8 in android look for Youmail and in win look for Magicmail

Sent from my SAMSUNG GS4 using XDA Premium HD app

bowpay
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosjcar View Post
Downgrade it's not possible from mf3 but you can use safestrap to install custom roms in some kind virtual environment and it works pretty much like the normal way.

On the icon parts, I think you can create different shortcuts on the main screen for that. I'll have to check and get back to you. I have many devices because I like to have the latest and I'm kind of a fanatic. I have a black lumia 1020 and a red 920 I have installed the latest developer previews and they are much better than before. WP8 it's nice and I like the live tiles but I get bored easily so I kinda hop from devices from time to time.

I do like the visual voice mail integration In wp8 but I use Youmail and love it you can try it in both Android and Wp8 in android look for Youmail and in win look for Magicmail

Sent from my SAMSUNG GS4 using XDA Premium HD app
I have safestrap installed and running Google edition on slot 1. Rom slots are awesome. I am trying Youmail out now. I wish WP had more customization as far as main functions. I am seriously debating on moving back to Lumia 1020. I loved that phone and had NO problems with any features. I only needed the browser in Android and forced to jump ship. If I could dual boot android and WP8 I would be in heaven.

nerdyblonde
Old
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpay View Post
I've recently jumped ship from WP8 (Lumia 1020) to Android. I did it strictly because I am a mobile developer and need to use a browser that is mainstream. So far I am not having very much fun but I am giving it a fair shot. I like the idea of having flexibility but MF3 is a bitch stopping me from running roms. AHH!! Now that my bitching is over here's my question. I've looked for answers but being new to Android I see conflicting reports and understanding. Can I downgrade the firmware from MF3 to MDL so that I can flash 4.3 or 4.4?

Also here are my gripes about Android. Maybe someone can help me figure this out.

1. I have 3 email accounts (A, B and C) and on Windows Phone 8 I can create 2 icons. 1 icon can group A and B and the 2nd icon will show C. Now what I love is the unread count that shows up on both icons. Android has limited ability out of the box so I found a widget, notifiyer, and it seems to work good, however, I can not group A, B email and have C by itself. the icon will group all email accounts - crap.

2. I like the idea of having visual voicemail as part of the dialer. WP8 has this ability out of the box. In Android I am forced to install At&t visual voicemail. I am forced to open two applications and visual voicemail doesn't show an unread count - crap.

3. Top notifications - WP8 notification arive at the top of the screen and I can see some information about the email, voicemail, sms, etc... Android arrives but is hidden in the notification menu that forces user action to view.

Maybe one or all of these things is possible and I am too stupid to figure it out. At this point I am ready to sell my S4 and go back to the Lumia 1020 (kidding). Someone, Anyone?
I'm having the same issue. I was lucky enough to get the S4 a few months after it came out, and it had MDL on it. Was in love with it, running CarbonRom. I dropped it last week (first time ever), and the screen shattered. Did a claim with Asurion (who has AWFUL customer service reps by the way), got a new S4, fully loaded with MF3. I didn't know what MF3 was since I never had to worry about it, but when I realized what it was, I was so mad that I couldn't install roms on it without using safestrap. I tried everything to downgrade and finally gave up. I'm thinking about trading for a LG G2. Thanks a lot AT&T. You get $300 a month from me for service, then I have to pay a $199 deductible - which I know it was my fault I dropped it and didn't mind the deductible until I realized I can't even choose what rom I run. I have faith in the developers here though. They have done some amazing stuff for Android, so maybe one day we will be lucky enough to use the S4 to it's fullest extent.

hayden55
Old
(Last edited by hayden55; 27th November 2013 at 08:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00by71 View Post
Safestrap is an option to run custom roms, however it only supports up to 4.2 currently ( I have 4.2.2 gpe on my s4)
Hopefully we will see 4.3 and 4.4 support soon.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using xda app-developers app
can you also install a kernel?

Nevermind.. I looked it up. So if I cant install a kernel and I can only install tw based roms no aosp, then what is the entire point of safe strap?

bowpay
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyblonde View Post
I'm having the same issue. I was lucky enough to get the S4 a few months after it came out, and it had MDL on it. Was in love with it, running CarbonRom. I dropped it last week (first time ever), and the screen shattered. Did a claim with Asurion (who has AWFUL customer service reps by the way), got a new S4, fully loaded with MF3. I didn't know what MF3 was since I never had to worry about it, but when I realized what it was, I was so mad that I couldn't install roms on it without using safestrap. I tried everything to downgrade and finally gave up. I'm thinking about trading for a LG G2. Thanks a lot AT&T. You get $300 a month from me for service, then I have to pay a $199 deductible - which I know it was my fault I dropped it and didn't mind the deductible until I realized I can't even choose what rom I run. I have faith in the developers here though. They have done some amazing stuff for Android, so maybe one day we will be lucky enough to use the S4 to it's fullest extent.
Well I tried it but didn't really care for it. I think I am done with Android. Going to try to trade my S4 for a Lumia 1020. I figure I will get an older Android device and use that for testing instead of my daily commuter. I have been working on this phone for one week and wasn't able to get the same functionality out of the phone that Windows Phone 8 comes standard with. Now I only need Microsoft to allow 3rd party browsers.