[ROM] TheROM - take it or leave it [stable: build 26 | exp: build 27]

Search This thread

60nine

Damn you 8 Thanks per day! I love seeing these conversions considering a lot of us are using the OldBL. I would sincerely like these in one of the first few posts of the thread, so new users aren't discouraged to try The ROM (considering half of them don't use the Search button).

converting roms for old bootloader is a piece of cake with rom-converter tool and it takes some 30seconds (if i don't count downloading newbl zip :) )

Reactions: poruid

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
I've swapped my SD cards using the option provided under storage in settings. Problem is, my (pyhsically) External SD card is EXT4 - causing permissions, user, and group of new files and folders created by, for example, xplore or the camera, to be inaccessible.

I cannot fix this through mount - the uid, gid, umask, fmask options are all non-EXT options. Does anyone know a solution?

My internal SD Card (which is the primary) is formatted as EXT4 as well, I don't have any issues. So this issue might get caused by the data move from the internal to the external SD.
I've just digged into the code and luckily the SD card swap is controlled by a persistable property, which we can enforce in the build.prop.
The only way I can think of would be for you to do a full wipe to ensure everything will be set properly on the first boot.
Download the ROM, add the following line into the build.prop to force the first boot to use the external SD as default:
Code:
persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1
Then flash the ROM and boot it - fingers crossed that it'll work. If not I'm afraid you're on your own and might have to format the SD as fat32 - remember this isn't fully supported by CM, I've just merged in some patches for your convenience!

1) Sometimes the phone will freeze on unlock for 20+ seconds
2) Sometimes out of the blue after unlock it asks for pin code (perhaps it means it has rebooted)
3) Sometimes, the time changes to a completely wrong (3 hours back for example)

First of all: You're missing logs, so you're lucky I'm in the mood (which rarely happens) ;)

1) As long as it unlocks afterwards I don't see any issue here, god knows what communication is happening between the modem and the cell tower. Even my Nexus 5 sometimes locks up on unlocking the SIM Card.

2) This actually is a feature I think. I've added a patch which recoveres the RIL after a bad crash instead of just staying disconnected from data.
But my RIL knowladge is extremely weak - so it's unlikely anything here will change unless someone else is going to address it.
"Luckily" it's only affecting a minor amount of people - at least for me as I'm not affected.

By the way, I'm quite sure the whole "no signal after airplane mode" bug is caused by a missing function in the RIL as well, but I don't know how to fix that.

3) You're using automatic time, aren't you?
My advice: Disable automatic time and use the ClockSync app from the market. I'm doing that for ages now.
Or if you'd like to keep using automatic time you should add "telephony.test.ignore.nitz=true" to your build.prop.
@echo_21: Could you please add the automatic time issue to the OP?

I've tried to fix automatic time 8 month ago and don't know why it doesn't work as intended.
Usually a reboot fixes the time, which is even more odd because it means that my fix does indeed work - sometimes.
I've been logging the issue some time ago, but didn't manage to find out why it happens. As the ClockSync workaround works perfectly I didn't spent too much time with the issue, though.

As recently a couple people joined in and collaborated it's worth a try to post about it here I guess.
Here's my automatic time patch: Link
The basebandSplit String array has been introduced by me here: Link

SU660 Basebands and the newer P990 ICS ones (v28e upwards) need to ignore the NITZ conversion.

echo_21

Aug 18, 2013
Hamburg
3) Sometimes, the time changes to a completely wrong (3 hours back for example)

In which time zone do you live? Is it GMT+3? Have you observed always full hour shifts only?

I live in Germany which UTC+2 on daylight saving period an UTC+1 now in winter.

This bug happens on my phone from time to time too. During the summer the clock was set back by exactly 2 hours and now by exactly 1 hour. Thus, the incorrect time shown is exactly UTC.

I checked that the timezone taken from the network has not been changed from the correct GMT+2 resp. GMT+1 then. Fixing the timezone to the manually chosen correct one didn't help preventing this bug.

I've tried to fix automatic time 8 month ago and don't know why it doesn't work as intended.
Usually a reboot fixes the time, which is even more odd because it means that my fix does indeed work - sometimes.
I've been logging the issue some time ago, but didn't manage to find out why it happens.

Hi @tonyp, up to now for me it seems like a time zone bug and not a time bug. Are there also reports about non full hour time shifts?

@echo_21: Could you please add the automatic time issue to the OP?

done, but still to be improved later on. See issue #10 in Known Issues List

victoram

Dec 7, 2011
Hey tonyp, you are pushing the updates really fast!! :good::good::good: this 4.3 rom is incredible fast, thank you!

:highfive:

DeeKay773

May 20, 2013
Žilina
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
To temp-fix the time bug, just do a reboot with access to the internet. I think its more comfortable than setting timezone and you dont need app for this (but its pretty good app) :)

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: filarod

SREEPRAJAY

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 9, 2010
CITY OF PARKS
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Oldbl
My first conversion. I've flashed it myself, so don't be afraid to flash it. :p
cm-10.2-TheROM-build25-tonyp-oldbl.zip

Done. :good:

Thanks my friend
As this is your first conversion.... It will be updated in the fourth post dedicated for the old boot loader versions....
Thanks @tonyp

OT....I am still there with this community for the love and affection shown.... would always be
Though I just bought a LG G2.....a monster compared to our device but this forum is more than amazing always

my LG-P880 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

poruid

Nov 20, 2010
My internal SD Card (which is the primary) is formatted as EXT4 as well, I don't have any issues.

One of the greater nuisances till now has been that the FAT filesystems are very vulnerable to corruption (the external SDCARD which is mounted as sdcard0 is 32BG). For this reason the possibility to format the SD's with journalled ext4 has been on my wishlist for some time.
I have not yet tried this because it would require a total wipe and subsequently will take quite some time to set up everything again.

How does one set up the internal SD as ext4 (set partition type) and format it with ext4 fs (mkfs.ext4)?
TWRP recovery does not offer an option to format the internal SD with ext4.
My host is Linux, so if I could attach the internal SD as a device to the Linux host then this would be very simple.

Is any other configuration change required to run the phone with ext4 on the SDs (fstab, vold, etc)?

If a suitable how-to is available a link could be placed on page 1,
thanks in advance,
Paul

mpoumpis

Nov 10, 2008
Athens
www.under-ground.gr
In the meantime you could help me out with something if you got 10 minutes of spare time (totally unrelated to Android!)
It would be great if you could participate in the following study regarding In-Flight-Entertainment which is part of a masters thesis:
[Link] Click here to particpate in the study

But pretty please only do it if you have the time and are filling it out seriously - no answer is better than a rushed one.
Thank you :good:

Offtopic. I completed your survey. I wish you all the best and good luck!

DrummerMuppet

Jan 3, 2012
Caracas
Google Pixel 2
when i check if RIL and baseband match,with get ril aplication i get message that no RIL exists,i this normal?

Yes, that's "normal".

Since CM10 (I think) the filename of the RIL was changed to a different thing to keep users from changing it. The reason for this is that messing with the RIL will likely result in signal crashes and stuff like that, and people will come asking "please, why is this ROM broken? I get no signal, can't make/receive calls or X stuff is happening!". See here for more info.

So, don't bother with that. Leave RIL alone.

Reactions: Patrick Morgan

optimusG

Jan 6, 2012
Great rom. My father likes it. But I can't make the GPS work. I tried the solution of ics/jb fix. I tried with topntp app. It hardly finds 1 sat with gps status app.

Either I fix it or not this rom is at the top. Great.

Sent using Tapatalk

sudden36

Mar 5, 2013
Great rom. My father likes it. But I can't make the GPS work. I tried the solution of ics/jb fix. I tried with topntp app. It hardly finds 1 sat with gps status app.

Either I fix it or not this rom is at the top. Great.

Sent using Tapatalk

Maybe you could try to go outside and just leve the gps enabled for an hour with clear sight to the sky.
This will probably enable the gps to initialise itself.

Gesendet von meinem LG-P990 mit Tapatalk 2

echo_21

Aug 18, 2013
Hamburg

Please never keep secret which build version of theROM is installed! This is unfair because you produce unnecessary replies with questions about that. This will cost an additional amount of our free time.

For details on GPS issues see issue #7 in Known Issues List.

Is there a file \data\gps\lto.dat ? If so, what is the file date?

Reactions: SuperSkill

V3rt!g(o)

Oct 12, 2008
GPS is working "out of box" in build 23 stable. yesterday I installed build 25 (clean), and it stopped working. No sats/fixes, no lto file present and download not starting (agps option enabled in settings).

Everything else is great as usual. :)

optimusG

Jan 6, 2012
Maybe you could try to go outside and just leve the gps enabled for an hour with clear sight to the sky.
This will probably enable the gps to initialise itself.

Gesendet von meinem LG-P990 mit Tapatalk 2

I will try it. Thanks.

Please never keep secret which build version of theROM is installed! This is unfair because you produce unnecessary replies with questions about that. This will cost an additional amount of our free time.

For details on GPS issues see issue #7 in Known Issues List.

Is there a file \data\gps\lto.dat ? If so, what is the file date?

Yeah you're totally right. I am using the latest exp. I tried also the latest stable with the same result. Now I can't check the lto coz i don't have the phone but I ll keep you informed.

Thank you.

GPS is working "out of box" in build 23 stable. yesterday I installed build 25 (clean), and it stopped working. No sats/fixes, no lto file present and download not starting (agps option enabled in settings).

Everything else is great as usual. :)

It's interesting that in b25 is gps bug free in your device. As I mentioned I didn't make it work either on this build.

Sent using Tapatalk

mbaier

Dec 25, 2011
build 25, kk ( with rom) , 30a .... gps perfect . 9 satellites , 8 in view in house .

Patrick Morgan

Mar 20, 2008
Montreal QC
From what i gather.

Tony setup the ITO file to only update when WIFI is enabled.

So after you sync your system and google stuffs. go to location settings, enable it. and then make sure the "download GPS assisted data only" is ticked. while wifi is ON, activate your GPS, wait a moment (like 10 seconds) then step outside (or if you can get wifi outside, your grand)

Things should work correctly then. ^.^

Reactions: artsheff

amarprat87

Jul 10, 2013
Xiaomi Poco F3
Tony setup the ITO file to only update when WIFI is enabled.
"download GPS assisted data only" is ticked.

Please help me understand this better.
When this setting is ticked- LTO data is downloaded only over WiFi

When it is unchecked:
a) It will use WiFi and 3G to download LTO data 'OR'
b) It wont download LTO data at all

I guess its option a)
In which case its better to uncheck this box... LTO data is hardly few Kbs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TheROM - take it or leave it

Okay guys, as promised I am sharing the ROM I made for myself to suit my personal needs.

I prefer stability and smoothness over features - so it focuses on some core features I love but isn't overloaded with each and every possible option out there.
    All features are carefully and cleanly picked into the ROM without the use of nasty hacks wherever possible.

Please read the FAQ at the end of the first post before using this ROM!

If you appreciate my work on the LG Optimus 2x you can support me by donating!

I am doing this for free in my leisure time because I like working on Android stuff and helping others out.
    You're not required to donate, but I highly appreciate a couple free beers or pizzas as a gratidue for my work.

To quote one of the most famous xda developers:
    Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

I am nowhere near his usercount, but just imagine if every happy (and only those) user of one of my ROMs has donated 5€+.

Important:

Let me explain the "take it or leave it" phrase from the title:
    You got two options, either you like the ROM and use it as it is without any complaints, or you don't and use another one.
    I made this ROM for myself and am sharing it to you as there's a broad interest.
    But I am not interested at all in feature requests, ETA questions, silly bug reports(!), etc. etc.
    If I derped something (e.g. a FC within the settings app) you can of course post about it.
    But you have to a) do a full wipe and confirm the bug is still there, b) describe your bug in detail, c) post a logcat.
    It is the ROM I personally use (or for the CM10.1 version: used), so you can talk about the ROM, but you don't get to ask about any changes.

If we're clear on the rules let's go to the fun part.
    This thread is in the general section for a reason. As we're not going to discuss which features this ROM absolutely needs we got a whole thread to our liking.
    Which means: It's meme time!

eldnl.jpg

FAQ:

Read the FAQ carefully before asking any questions!

1. Okay, I know you said no feature requests, but I really need [feature xyz]!

how-about-no-bear.jpg

2. Why should I try this ROM?

uploadfromtaptalk1358242696619.jpg

3. I want to try this ROM, can I just flash it and be good to go?

uploadfromtaptalk1358750446460.jpg

4. I have a question..

33364187.jpg

5. New: I have a question regarding bluetooth...

tumblr_maud4xjc5u1qe11kdo1_500.jpg

vert.bmp

6. Listen, I'd like to know if you could ...

357200419_Grumpy_Cat_NO_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

7. I will donate to you if you include my beloved feature:

gtfo-56265.jpg

8. This is a joke right?

anti-memes-funny_4553826052802422.jpg

9. Really, I just want to know when you're going to release the next update?

16664f99bbdc97fbf3b9564.gif

10. I don't like the way you're doing this thread!

26626-Dr-Cox-Scrubs-Deal-With-It-gif-28mg.gif
    TheROM

Okay, this ROM comes in two versions. CM10.1 and CM10.2 based.

The former is based on my work on CM10.1.
    The latter is based on my work-in-progress CM10.2.

If you're new to the LG 2x then you should check both linked threads and read about the differences, bugs and features of these ROMs.
    I just don't see a reason to have two threads for this ROM, thus I'm merging them together in here.

The CM10.1 ROM is deprecated, it's been the ROM I've been using until I made the switch to CM10.2.
    I just share it here for those of you who might prefer it. So don't expect any further updates.

FEATURES / INFORMATION:

Only features I made or ported are listed here, nothing that's already in CM.

• TheROM CM10.2:
      • Hybrid Engine (per app dpi / layout)
      • Halo 2.0
      • Additional hardwarebutton customizations
        (like Screen off, open Torch, Power menu etc.)
      • Notification Brightness slider
      • Center Clock option
      • Text-only battery style
      • PreferenceDrawer in the Settings
      • Custom Carrier text
      • Advanced low battery options
      • My memory management option
      • Fixed performance menu for Tegra2
      • Option for all home screen widgets on the lockscren
      • notification drawer background & transparency
      • standard softkey vibration lowered
      • ships with the awesome kowalski kernel by pengus77
      • comes with my non-neon compatible mini gapps package
      • Option to use the external storage as default one
      • comes with bluedroid which means speedup bug and no BT phone calls possible
        If I find some time I might try to include bluez, but right now I don't and bluedroid will stay in until further notice.
      • App Ops option in the settings (with PAs changes)
      • based on the newest CM10.2 sources
      • and loads of small stuff here and there I forgot to list

• Differences in the depracted CM10.1-based version:
      • comes with an older Halo version (1.0)
      • ships a couple more hardwarebutton customizations (esp. custom app)
      • comes with bluez and is compiled with GCC 4.7 which means a) no speedup bug but therefore b) no BT phone calls
      • based on CM10.1.2 stable + custom picks of the nightlies

Download:
    • Get the ROMs here:
      http://tonyp.basketbuild.com/index.php?dir=main/TheROM/
      All ROMs are for the newbl - if you're using the oldbl use the converter (or wait for someone to upload the converted build).
      Kowalski Kernel M1 rh and my non-neon compatible mini gapps are included.

Installation instructions:
    • CM10.2 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.2):
      Do a full wipe. Do another reboot after the first boot. Don't *****.

• CM10.1 (coming from another ROM than my CM10.1):
      Do a full wipe!

• Updating to a newer TheROM build:
      Flash the ROM. Reboot. No wipes needed.
      Do not update from any CM10.1 ROM to CM10.2 (full wipe it is!)

Known Bugs:
    Do not ask about features on the known bugs list. They're known, there's no need for a reminder.
    • all CM bugs (no HDMI rotation etc.) are present - check the CM10.1 / CM10.2 threads for more details
      This especially means that on CM10.2 bluetooth calls are not working!!
      If this is a dealbreaker for you: move to a ICS / CM10 or my CM10.1 t-build ROM!
      See this post for more details regarding the bluetooth situation.

• Hybrid Engine: Sometimes changing the system dpi will produce a small layout error (an empty line below the statusbar).
      Just do a reboot and it's gone :)
    build 26

For those of you who haven't read the news, CM has released their CM10.2.0 stable. CM10.2 has now reached it's final version and will only get important security updates but no new features.
    They're fully moving on to CM11 now.

Thus I've created another build where I merged in all the new fixes.

Changelog:

As always, please provide feedback. I didn't notice any issues so far.

For those of you interested in other ROMs of mine:
    • I've already updated my sources for the clean CM10.2 ROM, as soon as I get enough feedback that everything works on build 26 as intended I'm going to compile and release it as well.

• A CM11 ROM which is anywhere near stable is still far away. Some of you have seen my CM11 testbuilds at basketbuild, that's the current state of things, they're highly unstable and noway near a daily driver.
      They already show some of the great improvements to expect from Android 4.4, especially the much improved RAM situation (the amount of free RAM on the 20131202 build I've been using is insane for P990 standards), but it's a long way to go.
      But please don't discuss CM11 in this thread, I'm only posting this to answer the questions I've already got regarding my builds on basketbuild.
      Last but not least: I'll say it again, it's highly unlikely you'll see an official CM11 release from me without an updated 3.1 kernel by @pengus77 (which I do not have any new progress information on).

Credits:
    • TheROM contains features from the following ROMs.
      I either ported them myself or rewrote them based on their inspiration:
      • CyanogenMod
        [*]ParanoidAndroid
        [*]Jellybeer
        [*]SlimBean
        [*]ChameleonOS
        [*]PAC-man

• A special thanks to these people:
      • pengus77 for his awesome kernel
      • arcee for his work on CM7 - CM10.1
      • spyrosk for the bootloader converter (and AIO toolkit)
      • all the guys helping out in the threads (which are too many to list)

• Thanks for the people who provide me with buildbox access and free hosters:
      • xda
      • Korumera (xdafileserver.nl)
      • basketbuild
      • vadonka
      • goo.im

build 23

The goo.im build server had some issues as well (Murphys Law..) and the xda one still isn't fixed, but at least the former seems to have sorted them out (although it's slow as hell).
    So great news, a new build is up with quite the changes (and thus will hopefully answer the fearful PMs I got if I am about to deprecate the 2x because I got the N5 - I will not!).

Changelog:
    • added auto downloading the lto.dat file (for gps assistion data). Hopefully this brings up GPS back to the CM10.1 standards (at least after the first fix aka TTFF).
      It's enabled by default, but will only update the file via WiFi by default (check the new option at Settings - Location access)

• Properly enabled GPU accelleration.
      I've found out that our device didn't fully utilize hardware accelleration. The reason is our low RAM - and enabling hwa takes about 8mb.
      But with a GPU as powerful as ours I think those 8mb are well spent, we'll see how it turns out, make sure to post feedback.
      In a first quick test the UI does seem more responsive.
      Note that this is NOT equal to the "Force GPU rendering" option in the developer section! This one should stay off, as apps that for various reasons do not use GPU rendering shouldn't get forced into it.

• enabled 2nd core auto hotplug by default. This will hopefully get rid of the plug-in BSODs of people not reading the threads (and thus not enabling the option at the KowalskiManager).

• updated Torch overlay (this does hopefully fix the missing torch widgets some people had - please post feedback)

• updated the OpenGL version. I have no idea how and if we'll notice that.
      Thanks @DJNoXD for sending me a pull request.

• removed the CMUpdater which slipped in under my nose.

• I've slapped in a new more generic bootanimation, courtecy of +Dima Skvarskyi

Please make sure to post extensive feedback, if it's positive I'd like to up the stable version to this or the next one, as there are now massive changes compared to the current build 20 :)
    As always, as soon as everything has been tested it will go into a new clean CM10.2 build as well (no experiments to be done there).