XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Live streaming?

Tip us?

Lostlam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Live streaming?

I am interested in getting a Chromecast, but I wanted to know if it copes with live flash streaming well or not?

gottahavit
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlam View Post
I am interested in getting a Chromecast, but I wanted to know if it copes with live flash streaming well or not?
Live streaming what?

Odds are if you can get your live stream in a Chrome Tab it will cast to the Chromecast(though with reduced video quality). The chromecast itself will only work with listed approved apps at the moment so odds are that without a chrome tab you will not get it tow work.

Lostlam
Old
(Last edited by Lostlam; 27th November 2013 at 05:02 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottahavit View Post
Live streaming what?

Odds are if you can get your live stream in a Chrome Tab it will cast to the Chromecast(though with reduced video quality). The chromecast itself will only work with listed approved apps at the moment so odds are that without a chrome tab you will not get it tow work.
I live in the UK, so I would use it for Sky Go, Virgin TV Anywhere, and even live football streams. Would it be worth getting then?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Chrome tab casting relies on the computer to transcode what's displayed on the tab to a Chromecast-friendly format and send it over. It requires a reasonable amount of CPU horsepower for video, because the CPU is not only decompressing the Internet stream for display, it's then recompressing that to send to the Chromecast - all in real-time.

Personally I would look more toward a wireless HDMI solution that would let you connect your computer "directly" to your TV wirelessly. Of course that'll cost significantly more than Chromecast.

Lostlam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Chrome tab casting relies on the computer to transcode what's displayed on the tab to a Chromecast-friendly format and send it over. It requires a reasonable amount of CPU horsepower for video, because the CPU is not only decompressing the Internet stream for display, it's then recompressing that to send to the Chromecast - all in real-time.

Personally I would look more toward a wireless HDMI solution that would let you connect your computer "directly" to your TV wirelessly. Of course that'll cost significantly more than Chromecast.
Thanks for the info mate. I thought it was too good to be true. I probably look into getting a Wireless HDMI transmitter, but as you said; it will be much more expensive for a good one.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the info mate. I thought it was too good to be true. I probably look into getting a Wireless HDMI transmitter, but as you said; it will be much more expensive for a good one.
If it isn't something you need to do right now I'd wait until after the Dec 7/8 Google Chromecast Hackathon to see what they say about Chromecast in other countries and providers.

Unless of course there's some irresistable Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal on an HDMI transmitter...

Lostlam
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
If it isn't something you need to do right now I'd wait until after the Dec 7/8 Google Chromecast Hackathon to see what they say about Chromecast in other countries and providers.

Unless of course there's some irresistable Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal on an HDMI transmitter...
I live in the UK mate, so the Chromecast isn't even officially out over here. I am not sure what the hold up is as some UK companies are selling it themselves, but Google aren't. I will have to wait and see what the best option is around.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I live in the UK mate, so the Chromecast isn't even officially out over here. I am not sure what the hold up is as some UK companies are selling it themselves, but Google aren't. I will have to wait and see what the best option is around.
Interesting... The other option is a small form-factor (SFF) PC. I have an Acer Aspire Revo R3700 as my HTPC for playing DVDs and BDs... It'll barely keep up for Flash stuff, but I do use my Chromecast a lot for HBO Go and the convenience of queuing YouTube from the couch.

I'm sure some of the UK TV providers will get on board, but they're probably waiting to see how Chromecast does over here in the states, err, colonies.