[GUIDE] How to deal with/fix a broken power button

OP Kevinthebox

28th August 2012, 10:14 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 2

56 posts
I bought the MT4G used so I just want to confirm, is there only one "void" sticker located beneath the micro SD card slot? Thanks
5th September 2012, 11:31 AM   |  #12  
OP Member
Flag Los Angeles, Cali
Thanks Meter: 17

34 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinhhviet

I bought the MT4G used so I just want to confirm, is there only one "void" sticker located beneath the micro SD card slot? Thanks

yes, should only be one. Sorry for the late reply!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevinthebox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2013, 06:22 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 54

276 posts
More
Thank you so much!! I thought that was the end of my phone...but good thing I had it rooted and guess I had left on ADB was able to install ADB on my laptop and recover my phone!!! Just have to make sure it's always charged
29th May 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 6

68 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmt125

Thank you so much!! I thought that was the end of my phone...but good thing I had it rooted and guess I had left on ADB was able to install ADB on my laptop and recover my phone!!! Just have to make sure it's always charged :D

Since I had to do this for myself last month, I thought I'd throw in a couple of little things I gathered from the process.

- My symptoms were that my power button would not 'register'. It had less feedback and gradually grew harder and harder to activate until eventually I couldn't get it to work at all. Other than a couple of small drops, I hadn't put it under any serious stress. I did the cable-boot thing for a while (in combination with a sleep button app), but eventually got tired of it and decided to pop the case open.

- You absolutely need a T5 screwdriver, and they can be a little tricky to find (many driver sets don't go down past T7). Home Depot has a generic driver set that does include a T5 bit. The safe-pry tool is optional (you can use a small, flat screwdriver head if you are _careful_).

- My phone was never serviced, so the third T5 mentioned in the guide is under the VOID sticker at the bottom of the back. Once you take those three screws out, you can use your fingertips to make a gap between the front bevel and the rubber, then pry _gently_ to loosen the clips.

- Once you have released all the clips, the construction of the power button assembly looks like this:

Button -> piece of film -> metal disc (this is the 'spring' mentioned in the guide) -> ring-shaped contact on body

In my case, the film and disc had somehow slipped off-center, making it so that I couldn't make it hit the contacts. In this case, all I had to do was line everything back up again (film over button, disc over contact with concave-ish end facing the contact so it 'springs') and carefully clip it all back together. Now my power button works like it did on day one. Obviously this fix won't work if you actually have a flex cable break, but I have a feeling that most people who don't throw their phones around may have this sort of slippage occurring over time, and the fix might be simpler than you think*!

* - unless you break something disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer
The Following User Says Thank You to tuxkamen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2013, 09:08 PM   |  #15  
OP Member
Flag Los Angeles, Cali
Thanks Meter: 17

34 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxkamen

Since I had to do this for myself last month, I thought I'd throw in a couple of little things I gathered from the process.

- My symptoms were that my power button would not 'register'. It had less feedback and gradually grew harder and harder to activate until eventually I couldn't get it to work at all. Other than a couple of small drops, I hadn't put it under any serious stress. I did the cable-boot thing for a while (in combination with a sleep button app), but eventually got tired of it and decided to pop the case open.

- You absolutely need a T5 screwdriver, and they can be a little tricky to find (many driver sets don't go down past T7). Home Depot has a generic driver set that does include a T5 bit. The safe-pry tool is optional (you can use a small, flat screwdriver head if you are _careful_).

- My phone was never serviced, so the third T5 mentioned in the guide is under the VOID sticker at the bottom of the back. Once you take those three screws out, you can use your fingertips to make a gap between the front bevel and the rubber, then pry _gently_ to loosen the clips.

- Once you have released all the clips, the construction of the power button assembly looks like this:

Button -> piece of film -> metal disc (this is the 'spring' mentioned in the guide) -> ring-shaped contact on body

In my case, the film and disc had somehow slipped off-center, making it so that I couldn't make it hit the contacts. In this case, all I had to do was line everything back up again (film over button, disc over contact with concave-ish end facing the contact so it 'springs') and carefully clip it all back together. Now my power button works like it did on day one. Obviously this fix won't work if you actually have a flex cable break, but I have a feeling that most people who don't throw their phones around may have this sort of slippage occurring over time, and the fix might be simpler than you think*!

* - unless you break something disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer

Thanks for the input!
29th November 2013, 06:02 PM   |  #16  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 42

283 posts
More
I bought a used sensation 4g week or so back. Opened the cover, something fell off, I didn't pay much attention and lost it. By the time I realised it was the spring, it was too late using a light sensor software at the moment to lock/unlock the device.

Is the foil method for the above issue? How can the foil create the spring effect. Hmm I guess I'll have to try out for myself though the sensor is working fine too but this post gives some hope.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
broken, fix, guide to fix power button, mt4g, power button
Previous Thread Next Thread