XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wifi tether (for root users) experiencing slow download speeds

Tip us?

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Wifi tether (for root users) experiencing slow download speeds

I managed to get Wifi tether to work on an at&t xperia tl (lt30at) but I can't get my devices to download faster than 0.7 Mbps. The crazy thing is that upload speeds are normal at around 3-6 Mbps.

Tried freezing the 'tether entitle service' and that did not help either.

Any idea of why this would happen? What could it be that would be throttling or slowing down my download speeds?

My settings in the app are generic ics/jb (wlan0) using netd-ndc (master) using a custom SSID and a random channel (10). Wifi-driver reload as well as no encryption is set.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderball View Post
I managed to get Wifi tether to work on an at&t xperia tl (lt30at) but I can't get my devices to download faster than 0.7 Mbps. The crazy thing is that upload speeds are normal at around 3-6 Mbps.

Tried freezing the 'tether entitle service' and that did not help either.

Any idea of why this would happen? What could it be that would be throttling or slowing down my download speeds?

My settings in the app are generic ics/jb (wlan0) using netd-ndc (master) using a custom SSID and a random channel (10). Wifi-driver reload as well as no encryption is set.

Any help would be great! Thanks.
Okay - I randomly found the answer. Enable encryption and use a 13 character passcode. For whatever reason, I'm now getting 17.5 Mbps down and 9.25 down. Sick.

dunderball
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderball View Post
Okay - I randomly found the answer. Enable encryption and use a 13 character passcode. For whatever reason, I'm now getting 17.5 Mbps down and 9.25 down. Sick.
Turns out it had nothing to do with encryption. I didn't reboot after freezing tether-entitle-service. After freezing the app, then rebooting, tether works like a charm regardless of encryption settings.