XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Porting ROMS?

Tip us?

mhutton
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 602
Default Porting ROMS?

Is there anyway to install or port ROMS from another variant to Spint? I am kinda new to android and wondering how difficult this would be.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

ProFragger
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutton View Post
Is there anyway to install or port ROMS from another variant to Spint? I am kinda new to android and wondering how difficult this would be.

Definitely will be on board with this idea man! Hopefully some devs point you in the right direction cause other variants like T - Mobile have a crap load of ROMs to choose from! Good luck!

mjcollum
Old
(Last edited by mjcollum; 30th November 2013 at 01:31 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4654

DONATE TO ME
Porting them is entirely possible and shouldn't be all that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Would definitely start with one fairly close to stock for a first attempt. Avoid kernels ect.

A good way to learn would be to download a rom for a sprint phone and the rom you want to port.

Unzip both.
Copy one file at a time from the other rom to the sprint one.
Flash each time and see the changes.
Or if it doesn't work. You then need to go to the next level and look for difference between 2 files.
Rinse.
Repeat.

It usually ends up easier to build a rom yourself and just port individual features as needed.

You could also check out my rom in the development section minin3.
Would give you a good idea of what files are actually needed to run the phone. (It's been stripped of almost all useless features and bloat. Only the parts needed for everything to work correctly are there. Also has a removed file list and a list of extra files you could remove. I've had a working version under 500mb even.

You may want to remove boot.ing from my rom for testing (modified kernel with oc) though that kernel is for our phones and should be fine.

Should give some ideas anyway.

You'll find some things just work.
Others that hold carrier specifics are a bit more work.
Sent from my 900p running MiniN3 v4
The Following User Says Thank You to mjcollum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mhutton
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcollum View Post
Porting them is entirely possible and shouldn't be all that difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Would definitely start with one fairly close to stock for a first attempt. Avoid kernels ect.

A good way to learn would be to download a rom for a sprint phone and the rom you want to port.

Unzip both.
Copy one file at a time from the other rom to the sprint one.
Flash each time and see the changes.
Or if it doesn't work. You then need to go to the next level and look for difference between 2 files.
Rinse.
Repeat.

It usually ends up easier to build a rom yourself and just port individual features as needed.

You could also check out my rom in the development section minin3.
Would give you a good idea of what files are actually needed to run the phone. (It's been stripped of almost all useless features and bloat. Only the parts needed for everything to work correctly are there. Also has a removed file list and a list of extra files you could remove. I've had a working version under 500mb even.

You may want to remove boot.ing from my rom for testing (modified kernel with oc) though that kernel is for our phones and should be fine.

Should give some ideas anyway.

You'll find some things just work.
Others that hold carrier specifics are a bit more work.
Thanks mjcollum! Building a ROM seems very challenging but very rewarding at the same time. I am recently back on android for the first time since the original HTC Hero so I have a lot of catching up to do. Can you recommend somewhere where I can learn the basics of building? Also what are the chances that I would hard brick my phone? Kind of expensive to replace.

By the way you b ROM sounds awesome I was waiting for V4 to try it out.

THANKS AGAIN!

The Following User Says Thank You to mhutton For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mjcollum
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4654

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutton View Post
Thanks mjcollum! Building a ROM seems very challenging but very rewarding at the same time. I am recently back on android for the first time since the original HTC Hero so I have a lot of catching up to do. Can you recommend somewhere where I can learn the basics of building? Also what are the chances that I would hard brick my phone? Kind of expensive to replace.

By the way you b ROM sounds awesome I was waiting for V4 to try it out.

THANKS AGAIN!

I would recommend looking in the development section at the diy mods.
Try and do things like getting hot spot working by editing the files yourself don't just flash the pre made hack.
There are good instructions there.
And a lot of support.

I don't want to say there's no chance of bricking your phone. Do make sure to make at least one full backup. But the chances of messing something up so bad you can't recover are VERY small. I can't think of anything you could be doing while trying this that could do it.

V4 hopefully out this weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to mjcollum For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]