5,597,871 Members 38,552 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone Radio eating processor time on all custom firmware.

Tip us?

crimpshrine42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Phone Radio eating processor time on all custom firmware.

Hi,

New to playing around with custom firmware on my Galaxy 5 player (yp-g70 US)

I have tried the pacman version and slimbean so far.

They all look much better than the default gingerbread stock rom configuration.

I would love to use one of the custom firmwares but have reverted back to Gingerbread because I have found on any of the custom built firmwares I find here that the battery life is less running custom firmware. This is wth ALL settings that could use battery power turned off, no wireless tried airplane mode etc.. (Disabled all services) I have found from GSAM batter monitor that there is a type of service listed as Phone Radio and under any custom firmware I have tried here it always lists as using most of the power if my player just sits in a deep sleep state. (after 48 hours idle 98% of the CPU use says Phone Radio)

This Phone Radio is NOT present in Gingerbread at least its not even on the list of apps consuming battery power, I even found some type of zip install that I used clockwork mod to run that supposedly gets rid of the phone radio from android/data or something like that. (And I recall verifying this was gone in the file manager)

Is there any way to really kill off this Phone Radio thing? Why is it even present in the custom firmware for the 5.0 Player?

Normally in Gingerbread if I let the player sit in deep sleep mode only like 1% will drop over 24 hours. With custom firmware it seems to be like 5+ percent.

Thanks to any one who can point me in the right direction. I searched this forum first for any threads with Phone Radio in them with no results.

Thanks

codehunter2000
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimpshrine42 View Post
Hi,

New to playing around with custom firmware on my Galaxy 5 player (yp-g70 US)

I have tried the pacman version and slimbean so far.

They all look much better than the default gingerbread stock rom configuration.

I would love to use one of the custom firmwares but have reverted back to Gingerbread because I have found on any of the custom built firmwares I find here that the battery life is less running custom firmware. This is wth ALL settings that could use battery power turned off, no wireless tried airplane mode etc.. (Disabled all services) I have found from GSAM batter monitor that there is a type of service listed as Phone Radio and under any custom firmware I have tried here it always lists as using most of the power if my player just sits in a deep sleep state. (after 48 hours idle 98% of the CPU use says Phone Radio)

This Phone Radio is NOT present in Gingerbread at least its not even on the list of apps consuming battery power, I even found some type of zip install that I used clockwork mod to run that supposedly gets rid of the phone radio from android/data or something like that. (And I recall verifying this was gone in the file manager)

Is there any way to really kill off this Phone Radio thing? Why is it even present in the custom firmware for the 5.0 Player?

Normally in Gingerbread if I let the player sit in deep sleep mode only like 1% will drop over 24 hours. With custom firmware it seems to be like 5+ percent.

Thanks to any one who can point me in the right direction. I searched this forum first for any threads with Phone Radio in them with no results.

Thanks
The phone radio is a false positive: there's no radio in the device, so there's nothing to worry about. Battery life will decrease on any custom firmware, particularly if you're jumping from Gingerbread to ICS or JB. Personally, I've found running CM 10.2 builds on my 5.0, that I'm able to get around 2 days of light usage (I turn it off at night).

crimpshrine42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by codehunter2000 View Post
The phone radio is a false positive: there's no radio in the device, so there's nothing to worry about. Battery life will decrease on any custom firmware, particularly if you're jumping from Gingerbread to ICS or JB. Personally, I've found running CM 10.2 builds on my 5.0, that I'm able to get around 2 days of light usage (I turn it off at night).
Ahh, ok. I was hoping there was something to that.. Yeah I figured there was something to it.

I was also going to try comparing Slimbean with none of the extra Google apps installed and freezing / disabling as many services as I can to see if I can make it close to Gingerbread..

Thanks!

codehunter2000
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimpshrine42 View Post
Ahh, ok. I was hoping there was something to that.. Yeah I figured there was something to it.

I was also going to try comparing Slimbean with none of the extra Google apps installed and freezing / disabling as many services as I can to see if I can make it close to Gingerbread..

Thanks!
I don't think freezing services will help much. The battery drain that you're seeing is more a result of the way the 4.x code runs, not so much the services and software. For the 4.x improvements, you're gonna have to give a little to get a little. Unfortunately, it seems that we can't have our cake and eat it too!

crimpshrine42
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by codehunter2000 View Post
I don't think freezing services will help much. The battery drain that you're seeing is more a result of the way the 4.x code runs, not so much the services and software. For the 4.x improvements, you're gonna have to give a little to get a little. Unfortunately, it seems that we can't have our cake and eat it too!
Yep you are correct. I spent awhile disabling everything that was not essential for my use. Made no difference with the extra drain. Was going to experiment with kernels, but I suppose it is just a small trade off I will live with.

Thanks