[Q] DLNA sever help

Tip us?

e9508686
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] DLNA sever help

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this question and/or it's already been asked.

I have an old phone (Nexus 1). I want to use it as a DLNA server so that I can store music and videos on this device and then view/play this content on other devices (For this example, the Archos 101 G9 512MB).

To setup the DLNA server on the Nexus 1 I installed the 'Servers Ultimate' app and setup a simple DLNA server. I have a SD card connected to the Nexus 1 which has a couple of videos on it. I start the DLNA server on the Nexus 1 and it runs without any problems.

On the Archos 101 G9 I open the stock 'Files' app, select 'Network', select 'Media server (UPnP)', refresh the list but no server are found.

I've tried searching for solutions on Google but have yet to find anything useful.

The plan is, once setup to run within my personal network, I will setup port forwarding on my router so that I can access this content when outside of my internal network (E.g. through 3G). Not so sure if this is possible as DLNA looks more like an automatic internal system rather than having options to specify the address of my DLNA server.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Dan

julle131
Old
Thanks Meter 519

DONATE TO ME
Good evening.

These cases are always complex, as there are multiple variables.

Let's start with the easiest ones: are the devices connected to the same access point? If not, are they in the same lan? If they are, you can test and ran fing to see if the archos is able to "see" the nexus 1. Please post here after testing with fing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
General guide for Archos G9 tablets
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S2, Archos G9 101, Ouya, Asus MeMo Pad Smart 10"

e9508686
Old
(Last edited by e9508686; 1st December 2013 at 09:27 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by julle131 View Post
Good evening.

These cases are always complex, as there are multiple variables.

Let's start with the easiest ones: are the devices connected to the same access point? If not, are they in the same lan? If they are, you can test and ran fing to see if the archos is able to "see" the nexus 1. Please post here after testing with fing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for the quick response.
Both devices are connected to the same access point. My home network is just a single Wifi router. From the Archos I can see the Nexus 1 in Fing.

Also, Just installed the 'BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA' app on my Galaxy SIII to see if that can connect to the DLNA server hosted on the Nexus 1. In the 'setup network wizard' when I enter my server address as http://192.168.1.4:8086 the following is returned: The remote server could be joined but returned HTTP error code 404 (Not Found). Obviously this is indicating that there is something wrong with the configuration at the Nexus end rather than the SII or Archos. Any ideas?

Having doubts about Bubble app now...possibly this app only works when bubble is installed at both ends (On the player and on the server?) If you know that this is the case, do you know an alternative which will let me test a connection to the DLNA server from the SIII?

Finally, not sure if it works this way but if I go to the address (http://192.168.1.4:8086) in a browser on my laptop I get the following message: FORBIDDEN: No directory listing.

(Sorry - keep editing as trying to provide as much info as possible)

julle131
Old
Thanks Meter 519

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by e9508686 View Post
Thanks for the quick response.
Both devices are connected to the same access point. My home network is just a single Wifi router. From the Archos I can see the Nexus 1 in Fing.

Also, Just installed the 'BubbleUPnP UPnP/DLNA' app on my Galaxy SIII to see if that can connect to the DLNA server hosted on the Nexus 1. In the 'setup network wizard' when I enter my server address as http://192.168.1.4:8086 the following is returned: The remote server could be joined but returned HTTP error code 404 (Not Found). Obviously this is indicating that there is something wrong with the configuration at the Nexus end rather than the SII or Archos. Any ideas?

Having doubts about Bubble app now...possibly this app only works when bubble is installed at both ends (On the player and on the server?) If you know that this is the case, do you know an alternative which will let me test a connection to the DLNA server from the SIII?

Finally, not sure if it works this way but if I go to the address (http://192.168.1.4:8086) in a browser on my laptop I get the following message: FORBIDDEN: No directory listing.

(Sorry - keep editing as trying to provide as much info as possible)
That's a nice amount of info. Okay, no we have ruled out the chance of network not working between these devices.
Have you added media files to the DLNA server? Also that 404 error sounds like there are no files. You said you are using Servers Ultimate, so maybe you could try if CIFS/SMB works? I don't think 8086 is the default port for DLNA, which would explain why Archos does not find it. It looks in the default ports.
General guide for Archos G9 tablets
Devices: Samsung Galaxy S2, Archos G9 101, Ouya, Asus MeMo Pad Smart 10"

e9508686
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by julle131 View Post
That's a nice amount of info. Okay, no we have ruled out the chance of network not working between these devices.
Have you added media files to the DLNA server? Also that 404 error sounds like there are no files. You said you are using Servers Ultimate, so maybe you could try if CIFS/SMB works? I don't think 8086 is the default port for DLNA, which would explain why Archos does not find it. It looks in the default ports.
I've managed to see files (and play them) if I host the DLNA server on my SIII (Not using the 'Servers Ultimate' app). I ended up using 'Pixel DMS Media Server'. Seemed a bit flakey but need to do more testing. Not so sure about ports but that might make sense as Pixel Media Server uses UDP Port 1900 (Hard coded).

Annoying, if I installed exactly the same app on my Nexus, the device doesn't show on the Archos. I think I'm going to copy some more files to the SD card which currently resides in the Nexus and see what difference that makes.

I think as far as discussing this on the Archos forum goes, this is closed as the files are appearing on the Archos. Thanks for your help.

Dan

unasoto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
have you tried using something other than stock file app on archos?
Tags
archos 101, dlna, nexus 1, servers ultimate