XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Absolutely clueless on how to upgrade rooted nexus 4

Tip us?

emily02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Absolutely clueless on how to upgrade rooted nexus 4

I took a look around and didn't see another thread answering my question although, I'm so clueless i'm not even sure what I would be looking for so PLEASE don't slam me if I am posting this when it's posted somewhere else!

I have a Rooted Nexus 4 that I managed to figure out how to Root with the Nexus Root Toolkit & I just updated everything today when I plugged my phone into my laptop and the toolkit popped up a bunch of different windows telling me that i needed to upgrade to new versions of this and that BUT here's where I get confused - I got a notification on my phone that I almost downloaded just out of pure habit but the notification said that there is a new version of Android out 4.4 but if I download that, I'm not longer going to be rooted, correct? But then when i plugged into my laptop and the toolkit opened, i didn't get any pop up telling me to upgrade the system to the new 4.4 so I don't know what to do or how to download this new update and still be able to keep my root access.

AND FINALLY just ONE more question - i rooted my phone so i could have a free hotspot but i dont know what else I can do with the phone that will make it more awesome than it was when it was rooted besides just this. What is a Rom and Kernal and all that stuff? I want to have my phone do things it wouldn't be able to do normally and I want it to be different color theme too. I just want my phone to do awesome stff that impresses me but i'm super clueless on all this stuff. there's way too much to learn and i won't remember it all.

So a Breakdown - update system with root access to 4.4
2 - make my phone look cooler with different icons and colors
3 - install apps people who are not rooted wish they could have

Can anyone please help me?? Yes, i'm CLUELESS!! Thanks!!

gtaguitar7596
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default hi i hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily02 View Post
I took a look around and didn't see another thread answering my question although, I'm so clueless i'm not even sure what I would be looking for so PLEASE don't slam me if I am posting this when it's posted somewhere else!

I have a Rooted Nexus 4 that I managed to figure out how to Root with the Nexus Root Toolkit & I just updated everything today when I plugged my phone into my laptop and the toolkit popped up a bunch of different windows telling me that i needed to upgrade to new versions of this and that BUT here's where I get confused - I got a notification on my phone that I almost downloaded just out of pure habit but the notification said that there is a new version of Android out 4.4 but if I download that, I'm not longer going to be rooted, correct? But then when i plugged into my laptop and the toolkit opened, i didn't get any pop up telling me to upgrade the system to the new 4.4 so I don't know what to do or how to download this new update and still be able to keep my root access.

AND FINALLY just ONE more question - i rooted my phone so i could have a free hotspot but i dont know what else I can do with the phone that will make it more awesome than it was when it was rooted besides just this. What is a Rom and Kernal and all that stuff? I want to have my phone do things it wouldn't be able to do normally and I want it to be different color theme too. I just want my phone to do awesome stff that impresses me but i'm super clueless on all this stuff. there's way too much to learn and i won't remember it all.

So a Breakdown - update system with root access to 4.4
2 - make my phone look cooler with different icons and colors
3 - install apps people who are not rooted wish they could have

Can anyone please help me?? Yes, i'm CLUELESS!! Thanks!!
1.if you update your phone to 4.4 you will lose root.
2.the look of the nexus 5 like the home screen isnt the same it is the same you have on 4.3 but the status bar icons are white. you will have like the tap and pay, and some features like that.
3. if you want to root after 4.4 you will just need to wait maybe a week or 2 for the devs to figure out how to root 4.4 if they havent already.
but if you update your phone to 4.4 and you want the homescreen of the nexus 5 search google for "google home.apk" hope this helps.

emily02
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaguitar7596 View Post
1.if you update your phone to 4.4 you will lose root.
2.the look of the nexus 5 like the home screen isnt the same it is the same you have on 4.3 but the status bar icons are white. you will have like the tap and pay, and some features like that.
3. if you want to root after 4.4 you will just need to wait maybe a week or 2 for the devs to figure out how to root 4.4 if they havent already.
but if you update your phone to 4.4 and you want the homescreen of the nexus 5 search google for "google home.apk" hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your help!!

gtaguitar7596
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily02 View Post
Thank you so much for your help!!
Glad to help