5,600,919 Members 42,403 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Superuser not working after downgrade

Tip us?

czach5932
Old
(Last edited by czach5932; 24th November 2013 at 01:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV3NT3CH View Post
also if im not mistaken...tonked had a mass multitude of issues for me....if you need the phone for global use and trying to stay stock and stable as possible there is much better options...to further help...for all ICS roms and lower use Amon Ra 3.16 period...for anything higher like jellybean or kitkat use cwm or twrp...amon ra was meant for the earlier roms as cwm and twrp were not
When I rooted my phone initially Amon-ra it wouldn't wipe correctly and kept force closing everything which is why I went with cwm. Before I went to pac and android 4.3 everything worked perfectly. I just don't understand why (with full wipes) and a restore with upgraded recoveries something from 4.3 is still messing with the system.

The main thing I want is longest battery life and if you can suggest something I'll try it but Tonked gave me over three days on one charge with minimal use. I could get 6+ hrs talk time with hours of Mog with a single charge. I'll try anything. My screen is cracked so I'm thinking of using warranty and get a refurbished phone and restoring that way but I don't want to be out a hundred bucks.
Samsung Note 3 - Hyperdrive
Samsung GT-I815 - PAC-man 23.0.0

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by czach5932 View Post
When I rooted my phone initially Amon-ra it wouldn't wipe correctly and kept force closing everything which is why I went with cwm. Before I went to pac and android 4.3 everything worked perfectly. I just don't understand why (with full wipes) and a restore with upgraded recoveries something from 4.3 is still messing with the system.

The main thing I want is longest battery life and if you can suggest something I'll try it but Tonked gave me over three days on one charge with minimal use. I could get 6+ hrs talk time with hours of Mog with a single charge. I'll try anything. My screen is cracked so I'm thinking of using warranty and get a refurbished phone and restoring that way but I don't want to be out a hundred bucks.
because with any recovery...a full clean wipe meaning you wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, boot, data, factory wipe, and android secure. you still have the main internal files that never get touched by any recovery....if your s-off you can run my downgrade upgrade guide to get back to full stock as the ruu's fully wipe everything....ive actually managed with both talon 1.0 and tachyon to get 24+ hourse of normal use
Samsung Relay 4g
Rom: [4.4.2] [Unofficial] LiquidSmooth v3.0 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
HTC REZOUND
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 (Masque Of The Red Death) HBOOT: 2.28 Unlocked S-Off Radios: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Donations are never expected but i will always fully appreciate and give thanks for them
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

czach5932
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
because with any recovery...a full clean wipe meaning you wipe cache, dalvik cache, system, boot, data, factory wipe, and android secure. you still have the main internal files that never get touched by any recovery....if your s-off you can run my downgrade upgrade guide to get back to full stock as the ruu's fully wipe everything....ive actually managed with both talon 1.0 and tachyon to get 24+ hourse of normal use
But how would flashing pac modify anything that a full restore wouldn't change back? I know I used a ruu before, maybe I need to go and do that back to bone stock and upgrade from there. I go out of town for a couple of days and I'll try that and let you know. If you can think of anything else I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks Austin.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
But how would flashing pac modify anything that a full restore wouldn't change back? I know I used a ruu before, maybe I need to go and do that back to bone stock and upgrade from there. I go out of town for a couple of days and I'll try that and let you know. If you can think of anything else I will be greatly appreciative. Thanks Austin.
again...most recoveries only wipes so much to an extent....even most samsung devices no matter how much you wipe in recovery you will eventually have to odin back to stock to start fresh as certain things are left behind from flashes...im only assuming some of your issues on 4.3 was sd mounting issues as well as rebooting....in the posts for them are the fixes for those issues...some of which requires TWRP only to fix...twrp is more stable than any of the recoveries because it has the fullest amount of wiping methods that you can ask for and always gets the job done right...get 2.6.3.0 as 2.6.3.3 is for kit kat only
Samsung Relay 4g
Rom: [4.4.2] [Unofficial] LiquidSmooth v3.0 Kernel: B14CKB1RD Recovery: TWRP 2.7.0.0
HTC REZOUND
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0 (Masque Of The Red Death) HBOOT: 2.28 Unlocked S-Off Radios: 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r

Donations are never expected but i will always fully appreciate and give thanks for them
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

czach5932
Old
(Last edited by czach5932; 30th November 2013 at 05:48 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
also if im not mistaken...tonked had a mass multitude of issues for me....if you need the phone for global use and trying to stay stock and stable as possible there is much better options...to further help...for all ICS roms and lower use Amon Ra 3.16 period...for anything higher like jellybean or kitkat use cwm or twrp...amon ra was meant for the earlier roms as cwm and twrp were not
Not sure if I have time this weekend but I just read your s-off tutorial and it seems straight forward but what I'm wondering about is going back to stock. Do I have to go all the way back to stock or could I just use the most recent ruu on your downgrade tutorial to get close enough to stock to wipe the rest of 4.3 and then go back to my Tonked Rom?

Never mind read the tutorial wrong. Will hopefully try this later and I'm hoping to get everything back to normal.

czach5932
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
I didn't have time for s-off or time to go back to bone stock (your tutorial) but I did flash the latest ruu and got it to boot to bone stock ics and then flashed the same Tonked Rom and it booted and runs just fine but the only thing that it's granted su access is su itself. No time to mess with anything else yet but looks like I'm running out of options. I'll try your tutorial if I can.

REV3NT3CH
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I didn't have time for s-off or time to go back to bone stock (your tutorial) but I did flash the latest ruu and got it to boot to bone stock ics and then flashed the same Tonked Rom and it booted and runs just fine but the only thing that it's granted su access is su itself. No time to mess with anything else yet but looks like I'm running out of options. I'll try your tutorial if I can.
ha ok i see what you did....when flashing that ph98img file you wiped everything....even superuser....re download amon ra 3.1.6 recovery and install su&superuser via developer options in that and youll have su again
Samsung Relay 4g
HTC REZOUND

czach5932
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
ha ok i see what you did....when flashing that ph98img file you wiped everything....even superuser....re download amon ra 3.1.6 recovery and install su&superuser via developer options in that and youll have su again
Well even though I tried this before flashing the ruu but after flashing supersu in recovery everything is working correctly. i'm not sure why though but I lost both my two recent cwm backups (even though I used spare sd card during ruu flash). When I went to restore from my main 64 gig sd card, even tough the folder with the date showed up, when I went to restore it said no backup avail (or something like that) and then the folder disapeared. Also haven't had time to figure why backup disappeared or if any backups are currently working but i'll cross that bridge when I get time.

But back to the main issue. Looks like superuser has been having problems with a recent update where people were having the same problem I was having. I attributed it to downgrading but looks like a faulty app update (even though when I tried to look into it no one had said the update had any problems) I guess the upside was I wanted to reset my rom to stock and kinda reset, not really the way I wanted to do it, but lemons to lemonade. I really appreciate all the help and sorry for the stupid problem.

Tags
supersu, superuser