5,604,219 Members 49,309 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problems after Repair (Battery or Processor)

Tip us?

PcFish
Old
(Last edited by PcFish; 2nd December 2013 at 12:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Default Problems after Repair (Battery or Processor)

I sent my phone in for the purple camera problems and I got it back last week.
When I received it, it was updated to 4.3 Sense 5, most likely from the latest RUU.

Since I got my phone back, my battery has been horrendous and I noticed it had heat problems. I checked battery health and it said it's good, so I figured I just needed to re-calibrate my battery so I gave it a week of use. It's been the same horrible battery life.

I checked for wakelocks but there were no significant ones I haven't seen before. I've attached some screenshots of battery use. One thing that confuses me is that it shows Wifi running for 9 hours, even though I had it off for most of that. Is this normal?

To deal with the heat, I had to install a custom kernel and undervolt/underclock a bit. Before flashing, I noticed this thing is forcing itself to max frequency (1.7 GHz) which explains the heat. So the battery is draining because of this, presumably. I switched to intellidemand and lowered the clock a bit so it can last 12 hours (Doing nothing at all) instead, but that's still horrible compared to what I had before I sent it in.

Before I sent my phone in I typically had stock kernel while using insert coin or trick, Power Saver On, Auto-Sync Off, All Play Services/Google Now On and got 4-5 hours OST. Now I can barely get 2 hours.

Does anyone know where I can look to find the cause of my processor forcing itself to max frequency? I want to figure this out before I annoyingly have to send it in again. (Have to S-On/Re-Lock again =\)I was thinking maybe something shorted when they replaced the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-02-05-07-44.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2428293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-01-10-35-44.png
Views:	267
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	2428294  

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcFish View Post
One thing that confuses me is that it shows Wifi running for 9 hours, even though I had it off for most of that. Is this normal?
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced (in the menu) -> uncheck scanning always available
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PcFish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced (in the menu) -> uncheck scanning always available
Thanks, I guess it's normal then since I never turned that off before.
Now to figure out why the cpu is forcing max frequency all the time on stock kernel/firmware.

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2113
Quote:
Thanks, I guess it's normal then since I never turned that off before.
Now to figure out why the cpu is forcing max frequency all the time on stock kernel/firmware.
must be some rogue app, maybe best to factory reset, install (or restore) apps one by one.

if you're rooted use Titanium Backup, and check out Greenify for facebook and similar apps.

PcFish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
must be some rogue app, maybe best to factory reset, install (or restore) apps one by one.

if you're rooted use Titanium Backup, and check out Greenify for facebook and similar apps.
Those screenshots were from after factory resetting. I'm considering RUUing back to 4.1.2 and flash my way back to 4.3 and see if that helps.

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2113
Quote:
Those screenshots were from after factory resetting. I'm considering RUUing back to 4.1.2 and flash my way back to 4.3 and see if that helps.
see how it goes with the wifi scanning off

PcFish
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
see how it goes with the wifi scanning off
That gained me maybe an hour. Just applied a Sense 5.0 4.3 and it seems to be better. 10 hours on idle with 40% left. A lot better than 8 hours to dead. I'll give it a couple days and re-calibrate the battery to see if it's all okay. I've noticed very steep drops from when the screen is on. Thanks again for the help.

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2113
Quote:
That gained me maybe an hour. Just applied a Sense 5.0 4.3 and it seems to be better. 10 hours on idle with 40% left. A lot better than 8 hours to dead. I'll give it a couple days and re-calibrate the battery to see if it's all okay. I've noticed very steep drops from when the screen is on. Thanks again for the help.
"I've noticed very steep drops from when the screen is on" <- try lowering the max screen brightness