5,599,033 Members 32,042 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will OTA from Sense 4.3 to 4.4 unroot and wipe my custom recovery?

Tip us?

gustavorod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Will OTA from Sense 4.3 to 4.4 unroot and wipe my custom recovery?

Hello,

I have a Developer Edition (unlocked) with Stock 4.3 at the moment, is rooted and with TWRP 2.6.3.0 custom recovery, my phone is asking me to upgrade to 4.4. My questions are:

- What would be the results of the upgrade?
- It will flash over my custom recovery without problems?

I guess I will loose root and custom recovery but I can flash them again, my main concern is that the OTA will not flash correctly for being rooted and with custom recovery. Thanks a lot for those that know the answer and want to help me.

Harish_Kumar
Old
Thanks Meter 97

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavorod View Post
Hello,

I have a Developer Edition (unlocked) with Stock 4.3 at the moment, is rooted and with TWRP 2.6.3.0 custom recovery, my phone is asking me to upgrade to 4.4. My questions are:

I guess I will loose root and custom recovery but I can flash them again, my main concern is that the OTA will not flash correctly for being rooted and with custom recovery. Thanks a lot for those that know the answer and want to help me.
i guess you cant flash official OTA through custom recovery..u need stock recovery to do this
The Following User Says Thank You to Harish_Kumar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

graphorce
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hello,

Actually, you won't be able to do an OTA update when you've a custom recovery (you shouldn't even get it in the first place, sometimes it comes through), if you try to apply the OTA, you'll boot back to the TWRP recovery.

So, you should either go full stock (recovery & ROM), then do an OTA. Or flash some 4.4 Custom ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to graphorce For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gustavorod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
By itself the phone alerted me that the OTA download is available and wants to download and flash itself as it did when it upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.3 so I am not planning to flash through TWRP...

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2093
Quote:
By itself the phone alerted me that the OTA download is available and wants to download and flash itself as it did when it upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.3 so I am not planning to flash through TWRP...
it will download OK, but when it reboots to start installing, you'll just see the TWRP screen and nothing is gonna happen; because the OTA expects stock recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gustavorod
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!!!!

I guess I better flash another 4.3 or 4.4 by myself, I just thought the OTA would be better first to upgrade to the latest firmware...

nkk71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2093
Quote:
I guess I better flash another 4.3 or 4.4 by myself, I just thought the OTA would be better first to upgrade to the latest firmware...
you can do two things:

1- get s-off and flash any firmware you want

2- "download & install later" the OTA, once downloaded pull it to your PC, the OTA file will contain a "firmware.zip" which is signed and can be flashed in fastboot ruu mode (you have to issue the flash command twice!!!), which would upgrade your firmware (including hboot, kernal and recovery), but will leave your rom intact
----- because it flashes recovery, you need to reflash custom recovery
----- and, kernel (boot.img) you'll need to reflash the custom one (or dirty install the ROM), otherwise the ROM won't boot up
The Following User Says Thank You to nkk71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

csetera
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkk71 View Post
you can do two things:

1- get s-off and flash any firmware you want

2- "download & install later" the OTA, once downloaded pull it to your PC, the OTA file will contain a "firmware.zip" which is signed and can be flashed in fastboot ruu mode (you have to issue the flash command twice!!!), which would upgrade your firmware (including hboot, kernal and recovery), but will leave your rom intact
----- because it flashes recovery, you need to reflash custom recovery
----- and, kernel (boot.img) you'll need to reflash the custom one (or dirty install the ROM), otherwise the ROM won't boot up
I've looked around for a CWM compatible version of the Dev Edition + Root, but I'm not finding one. Is anyone aware of a CWM-packaged version that I can flash using CWM on a rooted device? Reverting to stock to pick up the OTA seems like a long way to go