5,595,000 Members 39,482 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast worked fine, then suddenly didnt?

Tip us?

Pierre3400
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Chromecast worked fine, then suddenly didnt?

Hello guys,

I just got my Chromecast, and not knowing about this forum and section before I got it, yes its updated and what not, so from what i have learned so far, my hands are tied for now.

I came recently from being an Apple user/abuser, and android is still new to me.

That said, im not a complete newb to using a pc.

Point of this thread is, I have chromecast, and since I am unable to play anything i want with my phone, i was looking to stream Show box, but as of now since Allcast isnt supported for Chromecast, that wont happen.

So i installed chrome browser and hit up veetle.com. That worked fine, for a few hours. Suddenly it started to disconnect, turns out, its because i have the streaming set to 720p, soon as i set it to 480p, not a single crash.

Why is this??

On a side note, if theres a way for me to stream from a player on my LG G2, dont hold back on teaching me, i am a newb as far as it goes for android.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre3400 View Post
So i installed chrome browser and hit up veetle.com. That worked fine, for a few hours. Suddenly it started to disconnect, turns out, its because i have the streaming set to 720p, soon as i set it to 480p, not a single crash.

Why is this??
Do you have any other CPU- and/or network-based tasks that run automatically? For example automatic backup or the like?

Chrome browser tab casting is dependent on both network bandwidth and CPU power. Essentially what's happening is an image of what's on your tab is being taken, compressed, then sent over the network to Chromecast - all numerous times per-second. This can take a good amount of CPU horsepower, especially at higher resolutions. It also requires that your network not have much lag.

While YouTube and other content already exists and therefore can be cached-ahead (buffered), the stuff from your browser is essentially a "live" feed - so if the data doesn't reach the other end in a timely manner it'll cause problems. It's like if you were talking on the phone with someone and a few of your words cut out.

Lower resolutions are easier to compress (less CPU load) and also smaller data-wise resulting in less network load too.

Pierre3400
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Do you have any other CPU- and/or network-based tasks that run automatically? For example automatic backup or the like?

Chrome browser tab casting is dependent on both network bandwidth and CPU power. Essentially what's happening is an image of what's on your tab is being taken, compressed, then sent over the network to Chromecast - all numerous times per-second. This can take a good amount of CPU horsepower, especially at higher resolutions. It also requires that your network not have much lag.

While YouTube and other content already exists and therefore can be cached-ahead (buffered), the stuff from your browser is essentially a "live" feed - so if the data doesn't reach the other end in a timely manner it'll cause problems. It's like if you were talking on the phone with someone and a few of your words cut out.

Lower resolutions are easier to compress (less CPU load) and also smaller data-wise resulting in less network load too.
I understand what your saying, as far as CPU power, its a pretty must idle 4770K @ 4,4ghz, so CPU power is not an issue. Wasnt doing anything aprat from browsing at the time. The network is running 1gbps, no backups no nothing doing anything, only streaming from chrome.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre3400 View Post
I understand what your saying, as far as CPU power, its a pretty must idle 4770K @ 4,4ghz, so CPU power is not an issue. Wasnt doing anything aprat from browsing at the time. The network is running 1gbps, no backups no nothing doing anything, only streaming from chrome.
Give it a try and watch Task Manager to see if one/more cores max out.
The Following User Says Thank You to bhiga For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]