XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

USB jig

Tip us?

Proud2banoob
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default USB jig

After a conversation with AD last night, I am pretty sure my Exhibit is "semi-hard" bricked. It will power up after you remove the battery, but not go into recovery. After reading a little, I have discovered a tool called a "USB jig" which will force a device behaving in this way into recovery mode. It can then be recovered via ODIN. Has anyone used a USB jig on our phone? The phones listed as compatible don't include the Exhibit, but often the Exhibit is not included on lists of devices, even when it's compatible. So, I was asking if anyone here has experience with a USB jig. If so, what was your experience and how did it go? I will need to get ODIN and learn to use it, as the second part of bringing my phone back from the dead. Thanks for your help.

Tivolijr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
About the jig i read a long time ago because some soft brick fear but was never used by me, its basically a small resistence circuit that somebody with electronic knowledge can do. Easely you could get one in ebay. So im almost sure it could work with the galaxy exhibit (because is simillar to galaxy W).
About Odin, the instructions are in the las thread (... not good thread). Download the file. Unzip anywhere you like in the PC. read the instructions. Read again. Then do it. Its easy because it was/is the main way to write stock firmware in samsung any devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tivolijr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dvarl
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Yes the USB jig works on this phone. I had need of it once and made my own, it was rather easy and very useful.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Dvarl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Proud2banoob
Old
(Last edited by Proud2banoob; 3rd December 2013 at 02:03 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvarl View Post
Yes the USB jig works on this phone. I had need of it once and made my own, it was rather easy and very useful.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app
That is awesome to hear! It looks simple enough to build one. Too bad I'm not in grad school, anymore, where there was an electronics building station in the lab. I will have to see if I can get all the components together to make one, as buying off ebay will take a few days and be annoying. Unless someone here has one I can borrow.....

Added note: bought a jig off ebay for 99 cents. Hopefully, it will work. Now, I just wait....