5,597,397 Members 30,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Howto: Fresh and clean install of official 4.1.2

Tip us?

vma
Old
(Last edited by vma; 2nd December 2013 at 07:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Howto: Fresh and clean install of official 4.1.2

Hi,

I own a Galaxy Note GT-N7000.

I never rooted it, just used two official updates provided by Samsung and then flashed the original 4.1.2 using Odin.

I have rooted my older Android phones (San Francisco) and used to try all kinds of ROM's on many Windows Mobile phones - I am not a exactly a noob, I just did not mess with my Note, because I am happy with it just like it is and because it is my work phone, which needs to be 100% working.

However, battery life is getting shorter (so I just ordered a new original Samsung battery) and, worse, the phone is getting more and more unresponsive.

This is the real problem: whenever I want to do something, it takes like 1-2 seconds, if not longer, before the phone reacts. This is very annoying. I don't have that many apps installed (I just stick with my preferred ones, instead of betting on sheer quantity). Still, the other day, the phone complained that there is no free space to install upgrades of some apps.

To make it short: how can I install a clean original 4.1.2 as if my phone was just purchased, i.e. with a clean flash?

Before you flame me and tell me I should spend the next month reading the forum: I already did!

I am afraid of the brick bug, so I guess that doing a wipe of the flash is not an option, as i guess that the bug has not been fixed by Samsung on 4.1.2. On the other hand, I do not want to root my phone, to install some custom kernel, to then wipe the flash and revert to the official ROM, risking to activate the counter, etc. Not that I don't know my way around flashing, soldering, building the flash dongle or even JTAG - I just don't have the time and nerve.

So my simple question: How do I securely wipe the flash and install a clean official 4.1.2 ROM on my phone, getting rind of 2 years of garbage files and God knows what else is slowing down my phone.

Many thanks for those guiding my way - I don't want to believe that there is a planned obsolescence in course, like Samsung building a timer that makes the phone get slower and slower...

Cheers,
vma
My gear:
  • Blue Angel
  • Universal #1
  • HP iPAQ Voice Messenger 514
  • Universal #2
  • VDA GPS
  • Athena x7500
  • iPhone 3GS 32GB
  • ZTE Blade
  • Nokia n900
  • Samsung Galaxy Note
My other hobby: Satellite TV

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2482
If you really want to enjoy the speed of your phone, IMO, you should go ahead and try CM /AOSP roms. They will give you some time out of the "slowness".
Just saying. On the other had if you want to be on the stock TW 4.1.2 rom, then doing a factory reset from the recovery will do the job. JB kernels for 4.1.2 seems to be safe to do a reset as there has not been cases of bricking on stock JB kernel.

But what my method would be to...
1. Install Philz kernel for JB using recovery and boot into recovery again... to get CWM recovery this time
2. Choose wipe data/factory reset ----> Clean for new rom install. (this will delete the current rom, data and cache)
3. Mounts and Storage -> Format Internal storage.
4. Mount USB storage and connect to PC... delete all files
5. Go to advanced menu and choose reboot download.
6. connect to PC and flash stock rom JB using odin,
The Following User Says Thank You to nokiamodeln91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for your reply.

However, you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiamodeln91 View Post
On the other had if you want to be on the stock TW 4.1.2 rom, then doing a factory reset from the recovery will do the job. JB kernels for 4.1.2 seems to be safe to do a reset as there has not been cases of bricking on stock JB kernel.
While in another post it says:

"Warning :
Don't wipe anything from stock ICS recovery
Don't factory reset/Hard reset on stock ICS.
Don't flash any Wipe version of ICS ROM"

(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1424997)

This is what I don't get... Is it safe or not? Does this warning only apply to ICS, while JB is safe?

Cheers,
vma
My gear:
  • Blue Angel
  • Universal #1
  • Universal #2
  • VDA GPS
  • Athena x7500
  • iPhone 3GS 32GB
  • ZTE Blade
  • Nokia n900
  • Samsung Galaxy Note
My other hobby: Satellite TV

nokiamodeln91
Old
Thanks Meter 2482
Its applies only to ICS stock kernels. There is no evidence to prove that JB is safe. but Samsung seems to have suppressed the bug on JB kernels.
The Following User Says Thank You to nokiamodeln91 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vma
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiamodeln91 View Post
Its applies only to ICS stock kernels. There is no evidence to prove that JB is safe. but Samsung seems to have suppressed the bug on JB kernels.
Thank you for your kind help!

I will probably work on my Note this weekend.

Cheers,
vma
My gear:
  • Blue Angel
  • Universal #1
  • Universal #2
  • VDA GPS
  • Athena x7500
  • iPhone 3GS 32GB
  • ZTE Blade
  • Nokia n900