5,604,507 Members 46,598 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Not using phone/sms/data, maximize battery?

Tip us?

Thelgow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 47
Default Not using phone/sms/data, maximize battery?

I stopped paying my bill back in June since my job provides a cell phone.
Now it is simply used for mp3s and ebooks.
I have a Nexus 7 but still a bit too large for my taste to pull out on the subway train in New York during rush hour.
Currently I use my old Galaxy 1 Vibrant as only an alarm clock and I only have to charge that every 3 weeks or so.
This phone, even if idling on my desk will lose 10-20% over night.
I have airplane mode on and data disabled. What else can I do to get this up higher?
Currently im on aokp milestone 6.
I guess a rom/stock would be an option now as I'm not really using it for anything else.
Any particular processes to freeze in Titanium?

Theraze
Old
Thanks Meter 365
Any apps that you don't use... remove them. They aren't helping anything just being there.

Install Greenify and greenify anything that you don't need to have running in the background, but that you actually use. I like to greenify Facebook and other apps where I don't want them to always be running, but other programs work better with them installed.

If you have the donation version of Greenify, it can tell you which apps are waking your phone out of deep sleep as well. That can help save a ton of battery life when you decide that you don't REALLY need that app if it will wake up your phone 900 times overnight.

Look at the various running applications and consider their usefulness. Do you actually want that program to be running in the background? Is it useful? Is it worth the battery? That's something only you can decide...

jeffsf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 960

DONATE TO ME
Definitely take a look at Better Battery Stats -- it will reveal the culprits pretty quickly.

Install a ROM and don't install gapps, if you can get away without Play (store). At the very least, freeze all the Google crap when you aren't using Play.
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on