5,605,120 Members 37,425 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Possilble bricked brand new Nexus 7... please help!!!

Tip us?

ta_help
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Possilble bricked brand new Nexus 7... please help!!!

Alrighty... so I just got the 2013 Nexus 7 (Asus), everything was fine, got it unlocked and rooted on Kit Kat 4.4, but I just ruined it.

I was checking out some font installer app... I made a backup of original fonts, installed a new font, didn't like it, reinstalled back original fonts, and then the Nexus would not turn back on after installing the backup. It was stuck on the Kit Kat boot logo. I tried a few things, nothing worked... went into recovery, tried restoring everything, and now it's saying I don't have an OS installed.

I cannot do anything but get into the bootloader which says fastboot mode and all that and I can still get into recovery.

I did not make any backups... I'm new to Android and now I learned my lesson. Any help please?

I got it as a gift so I can't even return it anywhere... no reciept.

DatDude123
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_help View Post
Alrighty... so I just got the 2013 Nexus 7 (Asus), everything was fine, got it unlocked and rooted on Kit Kat 4.4, but I just ruined it.

I was checking out some font installer app... I made a backup of original fonts, installed a new font, didn't like it, reinstalled back original fonts, and then the Nexus would not turn back on after installing the backup. It was stuck on the Kit Kat boot logo. I tried a few things, nothing worked... went into recovery, tried restoring everything, and now it's saying I don't have an OS installed.

I cannot do anything but get into the bootloader which says fastboot mode and all that and I can still get into recovery.

I did not make any backups... I'm new to Android and now I learned my lesson. Any help please?

I got it as a gift so I can't even return it anywhere... no reciept.
ROM sideload via recovery.

D

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk 4

ta_help
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDude123 View Post
ROM sideload via recovery.

D

Sent from my AOSP on Flo using Tapatalk 4
Well now to make matters worse... I tried using the Nexus root toolkit to do the restore + lock or whatever the option was and it didn't work... but it looks like doing that caused my recovery mode to go bye bye.

So now when I scroll to recovery mode, it just restarts to the bootloader.

I still have the openrecovery.img file.. anyway I can inject it using an adb command or something to side load?

ta_help
Old
(Last edited by ta_help; 30th November 2013 at 06:16 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
scratch that last reply, I used the command "fastboot flash recovery" and it's good.

now when I go to ADB sideload in recovery, it says unable to mount /system, unable to mount /cache and everything failed... failed to decrypt data and sideload failed.

When I type in a sideload command to terminal it just says error: closed

Bogdacutu
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Flash the factory image from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

ta_help
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I tried that, it still gives me error: closed when I try to flash it.

When I type 'adb devices' it just says my device is in recovery, even if I'm in the sideload, I know it's supposed to say sideload instead.

I just want to get it back to normal I don't care if I lose root and lock it someone help!!

lapocompris
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_help View Post
I tried that, it still gives me error: closed when I try to flash it.

When I type 'adb devices' it just says my device is in recovery, even if I'm in the sideload, I know it's supposed to say sideload instead.

I just want to get it back to normal I don't care if I lose root and lock it someone help!!
What exactly did you do when trying to flash the factory image?