XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wiping question

Tip us?

bgibs1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default [Q] Wiping question

I have been flashing different ROMs and mods here lately and have come upon a situation I cant figure out. I wiped cache, dalvik and wipe for flashing new rom options multiple times and when I flash the stock rooted deodexed rom I have bits and pieces of previous flashed mods/roms left. It also seems to vary between reboots. One reboots leftovers from before will be different from the next reboots. Can someone explain to me or point me the right direction to how I should thoroughly wipe so the next flash is really a fresh install? Im using the latest Philz recovery if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!

R0CKSTAR3N3RGY
Old
Thanks Meter 85
When flashing new ROMs it is recommended to wipe System, Data, Cache, and Dalvik.

You can manually format these in the mounts menu.

Or you can use the option to clean install a new ROM, which will wipe all necessary partitions.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
Devices: Samsung Epic 4G Touch, Asus TF700T, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, Galaxy Gear Watch
SGS4:
TF700:
ROM: Negalite WondeROM 4.3
ROM: CROMi-Xenogenesis 5.1
Kernel: KT-SGS4-JB4.3
Kernel: 3.1.10 _that OC+
Modem: MK2

PM me of you're interested in Phantom Hackers last release of Gingerbread Blazer ROM for the E4GT.
The Following User Says Thank You to R0CKSTAR3N3RGY For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bgibs1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thanks but that's what I have been doing. I have been manually formatting AND doing the clean install option. That's why I cant understand getting leftover pieces, it should be wiped clean. Im wondering if I need to change recovery to wipe. Ive been having fits with Philz doing restores from backups also. Maybe I need to hit it with a hammer and dig the old OG Evo back out.

leaderbuilder
Old
Thanks Meter 1182
You can try formating/wiping with TWRP and use the rm-rf option.
OR
Better still if you really want to wipe everything why not flash the official Sprint .tar to MF9.
Then root, install custom recovery (via GooManager or Odin) and go from there.
* MK2/NAE ROMs * NAE Modem * 4.3/4.4 Kernels * MF9 Bootloader *

if you've found any of my blathering useful, there is a thanks button that can be hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bgibs1
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Im thinking the official .tar file maybe the way to go. I'll try it in the am. One question... Im on 4.3 so I need to find a .tar for the updated software right? I thought I read about once on MJA you couldn't go back to Mf9. Thanks!