5,604,050 Members 46,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bootloader/Flash Problem

Tip us?

colorchange
Old
(Last edited by colorchange; 2nd December 2013 at 09:06 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Bootloader/Flash Problem

I have an ATT i337 S4 (mdl baseband) running on T-mobile. Current setup was wicked 7.0 ROM with ATT kernel.

I was trying to change to cyanogenmod ROM and tried using my TWRP 2.5.0.2 to load the rom but it would flash it and gave me an md5 error. Supposedly this is a known issue with TWRP so most people recommend using clockworkmod recovery and I tried to load that using recovery tools. Recovery tools couldn't find the CWM image file but did find the 2.6.3.0 updated TWRP image file so I tried to update TWRP and when I did, I can't boot to recovery anymore and instead get the yellow triangle saying unauthorized software.

At the same time (ugh) I flashed wicked 8 ROM update and think I loki'd it (I am running wicked 8.0 now) but I forgot to run the att kernel afterward. The current kernel is 3.4.5 ... dirty ptmr3 ... N5110 #1. I think this is the standard t-mobile kernel which will obviously not work on my ATT phone.

The problem is, now I can't reboot into recovery mode. When I try, I get the yellow triangle "system software not authorized by ATT...". I don't know if the problem is with the bad kernel or with the updated 2.6.3 TWRP. The only way I can get around the bootloader problem is the hold down the down vol and home button, then the power button and that gets me into a "Warning a custom OS can cause critical problems ..." page. From there if I continue, I get the yellow triangle. If I hit the volume down button to cancel, it boots normally but not into the bootloader and I have partial functionality of my phone.

Where do I go from here? Odin to stock? Replace the bootloader somehow? Anything else?

I did do a nandroid of my system before all of this but for some reason I can't access my SD card. I can hit mount but nothing shows up on file manager. Will that backup replace the bootloader with the known good one? I could copy the backup to the phone memory and do it from there using titanium backup I think.

Thanks,

lilg754367
Old
Thanks Meter 291
odin back to stock and then wipe/clear then retry should fix this problem
Please hit the thanks button if I have helped
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilg754367 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colorchange
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilg754367 View Post
odin back to stock and then wipe/clear then retry should fix this problem
Do you think it's worth a shot to try and find a kernel flasher that will allow me to flash the correct kernel? I really hate to start from scratch unless it's my only choice.

colorchange
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorchange View Post
Do you think it's worth a shot to try and find a kernel flasher that will allow me to flash the correct kernel? I really hate to start from scratch unless it's my only choice.
Can I use fastboot to try and load the original twrp 2.5.0 version bootloader that worked? Then I can factory reset, reflash the ROM, loki, then flash the ATT kernel.

colorchange
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorchange View Post
Can I use fastboot to try and load the original twrp 2.5.0 version bootloader that worked? Then I can factory reset, reflash the ROM, loki, then flash the ATT kernel.
I'm guessing I might be able to modify the open boot script and change to the old version but I don't know how to do this.

lilg754367
Old
Thanks Meter 291
i mean its really up to you and your personal preference but i was just saying that is what i would do and then look around for different kernels and so on i do but its alot to explain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilg754367 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colorchange
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilg754367 View Post
i mean its really up to you and your personal preference but i was just saying that is what i would do and then look around for different kernels and so on i do but its alot to explain
Thanks lil, i know the kernel I want and have it downloaded. Right now I am downloading the tar file to get me back to stock. I was hoping to do something easier but crud...

lilg754367
Old
Thanks Meter 291
yea no problem just hit the thanks button for me good luck
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilg754367 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

colorchange
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
I can't get Odin to talk to my device. When it is not in download mode, Odin sees it but hangs and can't communicate. When I connect it in debug mode (very hard to get into download mode), Odin can't see it.

Help!