XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Default messaging app only sends first 160 characters

Tip us?

nobody291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Default messaging app only sends first 160 characters

My wife has had a Note 3 for a month or so now. She's on stock unrooted 4.3. When she uses the default messaging app and writes an SMS message longer than 160 characters (I haven't counted, but presume this is an SMS 160 character limit issue), only the first 160 characters send, and the rest of the message never gets to the recipient. The app gives no indication that anything unusual has happened. We only figured this out by sending messages back-and-forth and comparing the results. I use a Galaxy S4, rooted stock 4.2.2, and the default messaging app doesn't have the same problem. Using Handcent fixes the issue on her phone, but she prefers to use the stock messaging app. I've searched here, the Sprint Community, and on Google and don't see anyone else having this same issue. Any ideas?

w7excursion
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Auto combination checked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-02-15-33-10.png
Views:	56
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	2429077  
Nandroid - drank

nobody291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for taking the time to reply...turns out the issue is with my S4, not the Note (I haven't figured out what it is yet)...please feel free to delete this thread.

w7excursion
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Chops it up on both Verizon and Sprint s4's I have also.
Nandroid - drank

nobody291
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
In case anyone comes across this later with a similar problem, unchecking that auto combination box in the messaging app on my S4 fixed the problem...I have Handcent set as the default SMS app, but I guess that check box still affects the handling of large SMS.