XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fastboot/ADB/sideloading issues

Tip us?

Notable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Fastboot/ADB/sideloading issues

I flashed a 4.4 stock rom on my 2012 32g N7, and unfortunately, didn't notice until too late that it was also overwriting my custom recovery with the stock. Also, in the flashing process I received an error while flashing GAPPS. When I first booted the tablet, everything was fine except for no GAPPS, but I figured it would be simple to just download an APK or two and load them - well, when I tried that with several play store APKs I got "cannot open file" error.

I have now resorted to ADB to "sideload" the apks (and a custom recovery) to the tablet. At first I had trouble with the drivers, but I have followed numerous tutorials and have a solid grasp of how ADB works now. (more on that later)

I also tried WUG's toolkit, but no matter what I tried (or how many drivers I un/installed) I could never get past the "no fastboot device" error.

I used a second version of the ADB from another XDA thread, and was finally able to get my PC at the command prompt to communicate with the N7, and recognize it with "ADB devices" - the result was "<serial> sideload". This is of course when I have the tablet in the stock recovery "adb sideload" mode.

I about yelled for joy, when after six hours of rebooting and tutorials, I was able to get "adb sideload update.zip" to load, but the joy was short lived - as it consistently hangs at "sending: 'sideload' 53%"

I have tried several different zips, of varying names. and even some APK's (which hang at 78%)

Any assistance which can be offered to get this N7 functional again would be greatly appreciated!

Notable
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool SOLVED

I was using a company computer, for which I did not have administrator rights......

I just face palmed so hard I gave myself a well deserved concussion.

JCred
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notable View Post
I was using a company computer, for which I did not have administrator rights......

I just face palmed so hard I gave myself a well deserved concussion.
If you're flashing the stock KitKat, you shouldn't need to flash a separate gapps package. Aside from making sure you have UAC control, make sure you update boot to 4.23, if you haven't already done so. Flashing 4.4 is easy, as long as you don't make the mistake of ever owning another An droid device and plugging it in to your pc... Dealing with missing/conflicting Windows drivers might require a vacation day and a fist-full of xanax,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk