5,594,151 Members 46,645 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Using USB Gamepad plugged in PC to control phone

Tip us?

faku1810
Old
(Last edited by faku1810; 3rd December 2013 at 07:57 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Default [Q] Using USB Gamepad plugged in PC to control phone

Hello to all, sorry for the long title but i wanted to make it clear.

Here's the situation, I sometimes play emulated games on my Galaxy S3 and as you may realize, the virtual on-screen gamepad isn't very comfortable when on my home (it gets the job done if i'm using it as a portable console) so I decided that i wanted to use an USB Gamepad i own to play my games in a more comfortable way. I know i can just go and get an OTG cable, and i will try to get one these days, but I fear they might not sell them here and I'm not a fan of buying stuff online.

My initial solution was to use My Mobiler for Android , as it allows to use the pc keyboard and mouse on the phone after connecting via wifi or usb, together with Xpadder, a software to map my gamepad to keyboard keys. While this gets me to the point of being able to navigate my phone using the gamepad, when i try to set up the Input in the emulators they will make a distinction between the arrows and Return keys (which seem to be taken as the Hardware DPAD buttons, that's why i can navigate the phone and use those functions in-game) and the other keys in my physical keyboard, which won't work if mapped to game buttons (A,B,L,R, etc) but will work if mapped to emulator options such as Savestates or Fastforward.

This is really disappointing as I actually thought i could save on the OTG cable by using this, but being things as they are, I'd like to ask if anyone can give me a hint on how to make this work the way I want it, or if by any chance someone (devs specially) would be up to the task of developping a server/client app that would work as Gamepad-to-Phone version of Xpadder (mapping the gamepad buttons as Phone-Hardware keys (Camera, Power, Back, Menu, Volume Up, Volume Down, DPAD) with MyMobiler's capabilty to connect with the phone via wifi and send remote input to it by installing an "Input Method" as well. I know this might require root but my phone is rooted already so that'd be fine for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would use such an app to play games more easily without buying extra cables, which is why i'd ask anyone that decides to take on such a project to make it free because it isn't a very profitable project as people would rather buy an OTG cable or use other bluetooth/wireless controllers to play instead.

So any help/suggestion/advice will be greatly appreciated

faku1810
Old
(Last edited by faku1810; 3rd December 2013 at 07:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Sorry for the double post, but I thought this would be better for those who already saw the topic, in case they're interested on doing the same I did.

In the end I managed to make it work with My Boy (Gba emulator) by using MyMobiler's hardware mapping for volume +/-, back, search and menu buttons and the DPAD (F10,F9, ESC, F2, F3, arrows and Enter) and now i can more or less play emulated games, as long as they don't require any buttons aside from select, start and 4 other buttons. As I said, emulator's own actions such as save, load, fast forward or opening emulator settings can be mapped to any other non-hardware key.

Still it would be great if there was an Input Method that would make the emulators recognize other hardware keys (as if there was a complete hardware keyboard for example), I've tried GBC.Emu with my workaround and it's useless.. It recognizes the volume +/-, menu and search buttons as Virtual; and only the Back and DPAD as mobiler_keyboard. making it unplayable this way (you'd need at least 4 buttons aside from the Dpad).