XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] poor wifi signal? any solution?

Tip us?

RavenAlias
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
hi boys.
I'm using civato rom and kernel on my n5100 but with stock too I have a weak wifi signal.
my wifi reception is weaker than my Samsung galaxy SII.

I'm crazing.. how is possible that a new device could have a weaker wifi signal than and old one?
sometimes I lost wifi reception or it is slow...

do you notice this problem, a not so good wifi module?
any solution or suggestions?

thanks a lot!

Inviato dal mio GT-N5100 con Tapatalk 4

sputnik767
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAlias View Post
hi boys.
I'm using civato rom and kernel on my n5100 but with stock too I have a weak wifi signal.
my wifi reception is weaker than my Samsung galaxy SII.

I'm crazing.. how is possible that a new device could have a weaker wifi signal than and old one?
sometimes I lost wifi reception or it is slow...

do you notice this problem, a not so good wifi module?
any solution or suggestions?

thanks a lot!

The solution is to improve your router or improve the positioning of your router. If you're on public wifi, try to get closer to the source. While mobile devices all suffer from weaker wifi reception when compared to laptops of desktops due to power consumption compromises, there is nothing inherently wrong with the Note 8.

If your router is buried behind the monitor or is otherwise obstructed, you can significantly improve signals by just moving it to a higher and unobstructed position. If you have a garbage router, you'll get garbage signal. Garbage in = garbage out.
The Following User Says Thank You to sputnik767 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RavenAlias
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
The solution is to improve your router or improve the positioning of your router. If you're on public wifi, try to get closer to the source. While mobile devices all suffer from weaker wifi reception when compared to laptops of desktops due to power consumption compromises, there is nothing inherently wrong with the Note 8.

If your router is buried behind the monitor or is otherwise obstructed, you can significantly improve signals by just moving it to a higher and unobstructed position. If you have a garbage router, you'll get garbage signal. Garbage in = garbage out.

thanks for your help!
my galaxy s2 has a better wifi signal than note8, how do you explain?
do you notice a weaker signal in your note in comparison with your smartphone for example?

thanks sputnik & all

sputnik767
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
thanks for your help!
my galaxy s2 has a better wifi signal than note8, how do you explain?
do you notice a weaker signal in your note in comparison with your smartphone for example?

thanks sputnik & all

Don't look at the signal bars as a hard indicator. They are just a graphic representation of thr signal strength or signal to noise ratio. What that means is 3 bars for example is a range and not a single number. What it also means is that it's a subjective reading. For example, an AOSP ROM may display 2 bars for the same signal strength as touchwiz that displays 3 bars. So get an objective measurement. Either find an app that willngive you the actual signal to noise ratio, or simply run a speed test. If both phones test similar, it makes no difference how many bars they show. Of course there may be minor variations in each device as far as reception goes, but it should be similar overall.

RavenAlias
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Don't look at the signal bars as a hard indicator. They are just a graphic representation of thr signal strength or signal to noise ratio. What that means is 3 bars for example is a range and not a single number. What it also means is that it's a subjective reading. For example, an AOSP ROM may display 2 bars for the same signal strength as touchwiz that displays 3 bars. So get an objective measurement. Either find an app that willngive you the actual signal to noise ratio, or simply run a speed test. If both phones test similar, it makes no difference how many bars they show. Of course there may be minor variations in each device as far as reception goes, but it should be similar overall.
thanks sputnik.
obviously I'm speaking after many tests.

With different wifi analyzer apps the result is the same.
In areas of home in which my tablet has more difficulties his signal is around 10 dBm less than my Galaxy S2. (for example note8 84 dBm vs 72 galaxy s2)

For this reason I'm telling you that I'm not happy of its wifi, I don't know if a hardware problem and if bringing it to Samsung assistance.

what do you think, can you do similar tests with your smartphone?
Thx!

sputnik767
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
thanks sputnik.
obviously I'm speaking after many tests.

With different wifi analyzer apps the result is the same.
In areas of home in which my tablet has more difficulties his signal is around 10 dBm less than my Galaxy S2. (for example note8 84 dBm vs 72 galaxy s2)

For this reason I'm telling you that I'm not happy of its wifi, I don't know if a hardware problem and if bringing it to Samsung assistance.

what do you think, can you do similar tests with your smartphone?
Thx!

I ran a wifi signal app on both the Note 8 and my Galaxy S4. I don't have an S3 to test unfortunately. The results I got were similar, 69 vs 67 dbm respectively. This was far away from a low end router. Before you try to get service on your tab, try the comparison with a different router, such as friend's or a public hotspot. Lets rule out your router as the reason for the signal drop. Maybe your phone can better handle a weaker signal or has a higher power wifi module or better antenna.

RavenAlias
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I ran a wifi signal app on both the Note 8 and my Galaxy S4. I don't have an S3 to test unfortunately. The results I got were similar, 69 vs 67 dbm respectively. This was far away from a low end router. Before you try to get service on your tab, try the comparison with a different router, such as friend's or a public hotspot. Lets rule out your router as the reason for the signal drop. Maybe your phone can better handle a weaker signal or has a higher power wifi module or better antenna.
i took a time to test my wifi
my note 8 wifi is always around 10 dBm less than my Galaxy S2.

it seems a sort of shield, or obstacle that covers my wifi module
i don't know if it has a weaker module or an hardware problem, but I'm asking to myself could be differences between different notes 8? i don't think you have problems who i have...

i don't know if samsung assistance could fix my problem or joke me
thx for your help!