5,598,908 Members 30,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8+7 Dual Boot Incompatibility?

Tip us?

SharpnShiny
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 190
Arrow Windows 8+7 Dual Boot Incompatibility?

Hi guys,

I've been doing the above ^^ for some time now. I've been using W8.1 as the main OS for my notebook. Yesterday I rebooted into Win7 to poke around. Every time that it said 'Starting Windows' it bluescreen (very rapidly) and restarted.

I tried the disc auto-repair, and this cut the bridge to W8.1 of course. When I tried Win7 it then said that there was another problem. The logon screen appeared, as if in safe mode, then produced numerous errors about being untable to log on or start logon services. I could not resolve this.

I eventually decided to try the manufacturer inbuilt restore of Win7 while leaving data alone. This seemed fine until it says 'preparing Windows for first use', then it said that the installation was interrupted (not by me or power use). I tried this several times but no use.

Shortened, I could not get back into Win8, I tried all the repairs, though it should only have been a bootloader issue, right? The Win8 bootloader will look back and see Win 7 and offer both. I formatted that partition, reinstalled Win8 on that partition, removed all data from the Win7 drive and then tried a complete reinstallation of the entire hard disk with the manufacturer restore disks. This worked.

I would like to poke around with W8.2 when it comes in the Spring. I need to understand what happened. My top two guesses are:

1. Minitool Partition manager, I suspected that program of being ... ruthless in hard drive partitioning and resizing in the past.
2. Perhaps some incompatibility coming from Win8?

Any ideas? I would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
Were they installed on completely separate partitions (i.e. not sharing any files at all)? If they were sharing a file system, the NTFS permissions could have gotten messed up and blocked access from one install or some such silliness...

Why were you using a third-party partitioning tool? Windows has been able to shrink NTFS partitions - even mounted ones! - just fine (and quite safely) since Vista.

I'm afraid I haven't got any other ideas based on what you've said so far.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SharpnShiny
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 190
Hmm well about 95% of data was on the C Win 7 drive and Win 8 linked into it, as if it were a data drive.

With the inbuilt partitioning tool, it never allowed me to say, shrink drive C and expand drive D. I can shrink C and leave a slice for another OS, but not expand it in the future ... perhaps it's a manufacturer lock? If it were a permission problem, it would be best to create a third partition as a data drive?

Thanks for the feedback.
Tags
bootloader, incompatibility, windows 7, windows 8