5,605,026 Members 34,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Where's my package and why can't I uninstall it? (SecEmail_J.apk)

Tip us?

Theory5
Old
(Last edited by Theory5; 29th November 2013 at 06:24 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Where's my package and why can't I uninstall it? (SecEmail_J.apk)

Hi!

For a while now I've had my S4 android 4.2.2 AT&T phone. The only trouble is the email client will NOT work with my companies exchange server. My co-workers phone works fine, and he has his S4 via sprint (newer packages).

So today I had a Eureka moment: android = linux, which uses package managers (sometimes I'm a bit slow...). So a bit of googling showed me that "pm list packages | grep "email"" Displays the package for my email client. "pm uninstall com.android.email" ends in "Failure"

So after this I decided to run "logcat | grep "email"" The first entry is "Attempt to delete unknown system package com.android.email"

But below that is a bunch of system stuff like calls E/installd (217): ECS_ECS: * do_get_size pkg [com.android.email]

Then I tried to do it by package location. I found the name and where it was located: pkg: SecEmail_J.apk
and tried "pm install -r SecEmail_J.apk"
I get:
pkg: SecEmail_J.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_URI]

So what is going on?

Why can't I uninstall this package? I stopped it from running, before I tried any of this, and I've pretty much exhausted my linux knowledge.

If you need a complete log file or more information, just let me know, thanks!!

Theory5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Bump

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1249

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory5 View Post
Bump
AT&T is not Verizon. Perhaps asking in the AT&T device forum would get you an answer.

However, in case this helps, you can't uninstall system packages. Things in /system/app, for example.
System applications are often dependent upon vendor proprietary framework components that won't allow those APKs to be copied around.
Just like Linux - you can't grab a RPM image from Fedora and always install it on Ubuntu.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Theory5
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
AT&T is not Verizon. Perhaps asking in the AT&T device forum would get you an answer.
Oops, that would do it. Thanks, ill post there.