XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To Learn This Stuff

Tip us?

Hunsdale
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default How To Learn This Stuff

Ok so basically I am 26 and very interested in learning about how to work with and customize technology and not just phones but in general. Things such as computers,phones,game systems etc. What im wondering is where do you begin learning this stuff because I am around the net and people talk so confidently about linux, operating systems, kernels, Programs and how they work and i find myself just lost in wtf they are talking about. Now like alot of people I can get things done by following step by step tutorials and things of that nature but what I would really enjoy is understanding these things and being able to do more then just google search and follow the leader so to speak.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to go about that. Would i need to take some kind of college/university course in computer engineering or something? I wish I would have knows how interested I was in these things earlier in my life because as a kid I found myself unfocused and undriven and now later in life i finally have an idea of what I want to focus on but again feel lost in where to start.

I ask here because I see alot of people like the ones I mentioned earlier and by that I mean confident in how all this stuff works.

chan.sk
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Hi,
It's good to know that people are keen to learn about these "geek" stuff.

The best part is that, on the Internet, there are special interest groups that offer free tutorials. I collated some websites which might provide you with some "beginner's guide".

Generally, the Wikipedia resources will be a good "first-read" on anything you want to learn about. It will give you the basics, history and development and features of those topics you mentioned. XDA has a consolidated wiki of the operating systems here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/

Next up, when you want to go hands on, then working the online tutorials will give you leg-up. For example:

Linux:
http://linuxsurvival.com/

For the rest, you can also search the Internet, just have to search using "learn xxx".

The more you read about them, the more you will begin to understand.

If you need guided (with a person), then you will need to enrol in one of those (usually) expensive courses for system administrators for the respective operating system you want to learn about. These courses will usually delve deep into the bolts and nuts of managing the respective operating system. This will be the way to go if you want to make a career of in this field.

Hope this helps.

Hunsdale
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chan.sk View Post
Hi,

The best part is that, on the Internet, there are special interest groups that offer free tutorials. I collated some websites which might provide you with some "beginner's guide".

Generally, the Wikipedia resources will be a good "first-read" on anything you want to learn about. It will give you the basics, history and development and features of those topics you mentioned. XDA has a consolidated wiki of the operating systems here:

Next up, when you want to go hands on, then working the online tutorials will give you leg-up. For example:

Linux:

For the rest, you can also search the Internet, just have to search using "learn xxx".

If you need guided (with a person), then you will need to enrol in one of those (usually) expensive courses for system administrators for the respective operating system you want to learn about. These courses will usually delve deep into the bolts and nuts of managing the respective operating system. This will be the way to go if you want to make a career of in this field.

Hope this helps.
sounds Like I have a long road ahead but very worth it. Im trying to learn to change my boot logo and animation and wow even something that simple seems so complicated. Technology is just so advanced now even simple aspects just are not. But I am A big fan of customization and technology and all that good stuff so I think I will enjoy this journey to figuring all this stuff out.

TheGospelGamer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chan.sk View Post
Hi,

Linux:

Hope this helps.
I really like what chan.sk said. I really feel like it's spot on! Trying to learn the basics and then attempting to put them into practice is a great way to go. I think school is always a great option but really make sure you weigh all the options before you do that(major,what courses you are going to take, cost, time commitment, etc.)

And I can actually really relate with you Hunsdale. Genuinely. I went to school to do Mechanical Engineering and graduated worked for two years and at age 23/24 I realized it wasn't for me. I had "direction" when I went to school but it was only because I wanted a job. Never thought too much about if I would enjoy it. Haha!

So about a year and half ago I decided after really searching myself that I wanted to get into game and software development. Though I know this is not directly what you want to do I figured Id give you a rundown of how I got where I am now (Have Currently developed 2 games that are published in Google Play).

First, I just engulfed myself in what I wanted to do. I started particularly with game development. For me for example, I watched almost every available video I could on gdcvault.com. There was genuinely times I had no idea what was going on with all the acronymns and terms being used but It helped me to get used to their context,

Once I felt like I understood what was going on, I looked for a way to start developing a game in a very simple way so I took a tutorial. In particular I took a tutorial at sdltutorials.com because it was very thorough and stepped me through the process step by step. Didn't completely understand the tutorial but then I set a goal to use that tutorial to make a small game! THAT WAS THE BEST DECISION I EVER MADE!!

Because I didn't understand everything I was doing during the tutorial, trying to make a game of my own based off that tutorial FORCED me to learn what everything did from the ground up.

Made that small game. Then took some more tutorials on more advanced things.

Made another small game and then decided I wanted to try my hand at mobile developement.

Looked up different things on mobile development and started to learn stuff about different platforms, how they differ, the languages they use, etc. Once I understood that, I decided to make android based games and took ANOTHER tutorial. From that tutorial i made a small game that turned into my first game.

To be honest, I just rinsed and repeated that formula over and over. Choose a new direction, learned about it, looked for tutorials and examples on how it works, made my own sample project using tutorial, then branched off from what I've learned to more advanced things.

I hope that was helpful in some way.

Also, just as a side note I considered going back to school but couldn't afford it sadly. Haha!

BraydenLarwill
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Being in the same boat you are not too long ago, I know how it feels. I learned mostly through YouTube videos, the forums right here on XDA, and other sites that are similar. A lot of things are easier to learn as you do them, so take the time to learn everything carefully as you do it and slowly you'll build onto those skills and eventually you'll be able to do everything with no worries!

Hunsdale
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
@TheGospelGamer

Wow that is impressive man, sounds like you went through alot to get to where you are and hopefully I can follow in your footsteps though it will not be easy and im sure frustrating at times haha congrats tho on your progress

@BraydenLarwill

Ya this site seems very helpful I used it to successfully flash a new rom onto my phone which so far works very well. I will check out youtube and see if i can find some good videos to help in what I am trying to do.

My vision for my boot logo and bootanimation ( which i will have to make myself ) is a combination of bleach,onepiece,naruto which is my fave anime/manga at the moment which I don't know if people here follow but basically Id like to.

have the boot logo be a picture of 3 different manga cliping on on picture

And the the animation will be this same picture being slowly coloring in until all characters are fully colored. I dunno if i will succeed but I am gonna give it my best shot.