[Q] Assist in update

Search This thread

RucanorX

Oct 22, 2012
Philadelphia
I rooted my SGS4 when I got it, and has TWRP 2.5.0.0. I've been steadily bothered for the MF9 update for several months.

I followed several forums and flashed a couple of zips per some recommendations and at some point the update notification went away and then came back.

Frustrated, I put this on hold for a bunch of months, as I needed my phone for work and couldn't risk bricking it.

All I need is some help recommending procedures flashing all the most recent updates as I've had some LOS issues and its making it an annoyance even to use navigation.

I'm making a complete TWRP backup of all partitions and I just need to know where to go from here :confused:

Reactions: tapatalk

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
If you want to skip all the hassles just odin directly to the latest MJA firmware. You can download the full MJA tar file from sammobile.com and install it through odin. You may or may not have to factory reset to do this. I did not have to. Once on MJA, you can not odin older firmwares so make sure you want to upgrade. Personally, I have found MJA to be the best and smoothest build yet, but others have had problems. Another thing to consider is with the MJA build, Samsung instituted a Knox warranty flag in the bootloader so if you root MJA it will trip the warranty flag. This may prevent you from getting warranty service from Samsung, if you have Assurian, TEP or other phone insurance programs this won't be a problem. Before you root MJA, you will want to OTA the newest software which is MK2. There currently is not a tar file available since it was just released. After you are all updated, cf-autoroot does work. Again, if you root the newest software, it will trip the knox warranty flag.

RucanorX

Oct 22, 2012
Philadelphia
If you want to skip all the hassles just odin directly to the latest MJA firmware. You can download the full MJA tar file from sammobile.com and install it through odin. You may or may not have to factory reset to do this. I did not have to. Once on MJA, you can not odin older firmwares so make sure you want to upgrade. Personally, I have found MJA to be the best and smoothest build yet, but others have had problems. Another thing to consider is with the MJA build, Samsung instituted a Knox warranty flag in the bootloader so if you root MJA it will trip the warranty flag. This may prevent you from getting warranty service from Samsung, if you have Assurian, TEP or other phone insurance programs this won't be a problem. Before you root MJA, you will want to OTA the newest software which is MK2. There currently is not a tar file available since it was just released. After you are all updated, cf-autoroot does work. Again, if you root the newest software, it will trip the knox warranty flag.

I do like to have root for a variety of reasons, but the most glaring is just doing simple backups and restores with TB.

I'm not too worried about warranty - if I did get one, I would probably do Asurion anyway.

So if I got this right:
  • Odin flash MJA build
  • OTA MK2 software
  • CF-Autoroot (which I'm assuming works fine with an L720)
  • Back in business

Sound ok? (thank you for answering btw)

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
That looks correct. I would avoid doing restores using TWRP with MJA. A lot of people have reported problems. Philz' s recovery has just been updated and may be the best recovery for now. If you use twrp, use the latest version which is 2.6.3.0 I believe. Titanium Backup was updated and now works great with MJA.

RucanorX

Oct 22, 2012
Philadelphia
That looks correct. I would avoid doing restores using TWRP with MJA. A lot of people have reported problems. Philz' s recovery has just been updated and may be the best recovery for now. If you use twrp, use the latest version which is 2.6.3.0 I believe. Titanium Backup was updated and now works great with MJA.

downloading SPR-L720VPUEMJA-20131030154609.zip

Sorry one more thing - should I update my TWRP Recovery or to Philz before Odin-flashing new FW or does it not matter?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I rooted my SGS4 when I got it, and has TWRP 2.5.0.0. I've been steadily bothered for the MF9 update for several months.

I followed several forums and flashed a couple of zips per some recommendations and at some point the update notification went away and then came back.

Frustrated, I put this on hold for a bunch of months, as I needed my phone for work and couldn't risk bricking it.

All I need is some help recommending procedures flashing all the most recent updates as I've had some LOS issues and its making it an annoyance even to use navigation.

I'm making a complete TWRP backup of all partitions and I just need to know where to go from here :confused: