[Q] Phone died- can it be revived?

Search This thread

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
Two days ago my phone started shutting down without a warning. It did it 10 or so times, but now I can't turn it on at all. No light when connected to a charger. I haven't flashed anything new on it in a couple of months. The only recent change was replacing a defective 64GB SD card with a 32Gb one.
I tried removing the battery for a while, replacing the battery from a working phone, booting without the SD card and reset with hard buttons. At this point I don't know what to do next. There are several unbricking guides, but they deal with consequences of a bad flash, and my phone has been working fine for a long time.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
You may want to try jiggling the Power Button. It could be the power button going out on you. Blowing compressed air carefully into the area surrounding the power button may also work.

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
It didn't work and highly doubt this problem is related to the power button. Couple of times the phone simply died just sitting still without any movement.

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
Check out the thread HERE. It may explain things better.

Thanks, interesting thread. There is however a key difference with my case- I didn't see the Power/Reboot menu popping up. That would be the tell-tale sign of the power switch issues.
I'm afraid that the only option for me would be to replace the motherboard. If I only could get the phone running one more time to create a backup...

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
Turned out that my phone is not completely dead- when connected to a PC a message " QHSUSB_DLOAD drivers not found" pops up. However quick googling shows that I'm screwed regardless...

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
Thanks, this is worth trying, I have doubts it will help because I didn't brick the phone by a bad flash, but what do I have to lose? I also ordered a USB jig which might be able to put the phone in the Download mode.

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
Two days ago my phone started shutting down without a warning. It did it 10 or so times, but now I can't turn it on at all. No light when connected to a charger. I haven't flashed anything new on it in a couple of months. The only recent change was replacing a defective 64GB SD card with a 32Gb one.
I tried removing the battery for a while, replacing the battery from a working phone, booting without the SD card and reset with hard buttons. At this point I don't know what to do next. There are several unbricking guides, but they deal with consequences of a bad flash, and my phone has been working fine for a long time.

Mine did the same thing last Wednesday. Hadn't added any apps or flashed anything. Got home and Flashed a new Rom to it, but it still rebooted several times. Now all I get is the Samsung logo, then Ktoonsez kernel logo then it turns off. Download mode will open, but phone shuts off in a few seconds. I Already bought a Note 2 off ebay but still trying to fix my S3.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Mine did the same thing last Wednesday. Hadn't added any apps or flashed anything. Got home and Flashed a new Rom to it, but it still rebooted several times. Now all I get is the Samsung logo, then Ktoonsez kernel logo then it turns off. Download mode will open, but phone shuts off in a few seconds. I Already bought a Note 2 off ebay but still trying to fix my S3.
Did you do a Full Wipe before flashing the New Rom ? Did you verify the MD5 Checksum before flashing ? Have you tried booting back into Recovery, wiping cahces, and rebooting ?

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore

Your symptoms are different- my phone doesn't even turn on. Interesting, I also run Ktoonzes kernel- I need the fast charge functionality. Other than troubles with 64GB SD card I had no problems with this kernel. Have you tried anything to fix the phone? You should have more options.

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
Did you do a Full Wipe before flashing the New Rom ? Did you verify the MD5 Checksum before flashing ? Have you tried booting back into Recovery, wiping cahces, and rebooting ?

Yes to both. It won't boot into recovery, it starts to then shuts off. I got it to boot into Android by tapping the side of the phone on a desk against the power button, but it shut off about 10 seconds later.

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
You might have the power switch failure.
I managed to start the phone from SD card, but can't flash. Will ask questions in the guide thread.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Glad you know for sure what the issue is now. You may be able to have it repaired fairly cheap. Not sure about your area. But around here there are several places that will do the repair for $20-$30. That includes the cost of the Power Button.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

gullzway

Nov 17, 2007
Glad you know for sure what the issue is now. You may be able to have it repaired fairly cheap. Not sure about your area. But around here there are several places that will do the repair for $20-$30. That includes the cost of the Power Button.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Indeed, got it done for $20 at a repair shop. When I picked the motherboard up, he gave my $20 back because he couldn't guarantee it would work. He showed me 3 switches that he burnt up trying to fix it. The plastic starts to melt just as the solder does.

So far it has been working and hasn't rebooted in a few hours.

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
Indeed, got it done for $20 at a repair shop. When I picked the motherboard up, he gave my $20 back because he couldn't guarantee it would work. He showed me 3 switches that he burnt up trying to fix it. The plastic starts to melt just as the solder does.

Glad you got it sorted :) . Now hopefully there's a way to get stopeject sorted.

Reactions: stopeject

stopeject

Jun 22, 2011
Baltimore
I have a feeling that I might have a bad flash chip in the phone. I'm waiting for uUSB jig, there is a small chance it will help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for your interest. With a boot image on SD card the phone attempts to boot showing me this:

BOOT RECOVERY MODE
    CHECK BOOT PARTITIONS.
    COPY FROM T-FLASH.
    BOOT RECOVERY
    WRITE 159488 sectors
    FLASH WRITE FAILURE
    ODIN MODE

PRODUCT NAME: SPH-L710
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: NONE
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Flashing with ODIN is failing. I received the USB jig, it makes no difference. The jig itself is good, it puts my wife's GS3 in the download mode just fine.

Try flashing the pit file for the storage size and then flash the stock tar in download mode
    Turned out that my phone is not completely dead- when connected to a PC a message " QHSUSB_DLOAD drivers not found" pops up. However quick googling shows that I'm screwed regardless...
    Maybe, maybe not. Check out the thread HERE. Then check out THIS thread. It may be able to help you.

Glad you got it sorted :) . Now hopefully there's a way to get stopeject sorted.
    Didn't work. Phone says ODIN: Flash read failure

I had same issues. Mine would reboot out of download mode as well. What odin version are you using?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Grab the odin I used md4 tar and the pit file for 16gb here I have them in my files http://www.androidfilehost.com/?a=show&w=files&flid=8857

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 AM ----------

What I did was re partition several times. Then I partitioned and ran md4 see time. My phones been perfect now for a few weeks. Since fixing it. Originally it had rebooted from cm and went into boot loops. Recovery vanished. Would go into dl mode and shut down. Did this several times. I stayed persistent. It paid off.