XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help with Sprint Network and CM11

Tip us?

radrobe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Help with Sprint Network and CM11

Hey all. I'm running CM 11 on my Sprint GS3, and like many other custom ROMs that weren't touchwiz. I've been getting very poor data connectivity. I called Sprint to complain about my horrible voice coverage and they wanted me to dial ##76782# or something along those lines and it wouldn't dial. I told the operator I was on a custom ROM and he said there was nothing he could do unless I had the stock ROM.

Will being in stock help? I'm loving 4.4, but the coverage is killing me. Thanks!

Whiplashh
Old
Thanks Meter 1391
My bad, I didn't see you accidentally made 2 threads.

Flash back to stock. Then try the dialer thing. The data issues could be because it is a 4.4 ROM.

Flash back to stock, try dialer code, and use stock for a bit. Then if coverage doesn't improve, it could be the towers. They may be doing upgrades in your area.
-Whiplashh
Sent from my fixed Sprint Galaxy S3!
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiplashh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radrobe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I flashed to a touch wiz variant and it works much better after doing the ##78765# or whatever the number was. I then restored after doing that and had the same issues. I guess I'm stuck with bad coverage or touch wiz.

I had the same issues on a 4.3 non touch wiz ROM previously, but didn't make the connection that it could be the ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Mr. Struck
Old
(Last edited by Mr. Struck; 3rd December 2013 at 03:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by radrobe View Post
I flashed to a touch wiz variant and it works much better after doing the ##78765# or whatever the number was. I then restored after doing that and had the same issues. I guess I'm stuck with bad coverage or touch wiz.

I had the same issues on a 4.3 non touch wiz ROM previously, but didn't make the connection that it could be the ROM.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
There are flashable .zip files available for all the previous Sprint modems plus the current MK3, possibly a previous modem will help with better signal/data connectivity. Latest and greatest modem doesn't always work perfect for everyone. Some Sprint users have had success with the Virgin Mobile modems as well (MG2 version). I'm on VM and have successfully used both Sprint and VM modems interchangeably.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Struck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radrobe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Struck View Post
There are flashable .zip files available for all the previous Sprint modems plus the current MK3, possibly a previous modem will help with better signal/data connectivity. Latest and greatest modem doesn't always work perfect for everyone. Some Sprint users have had success with the Virgin Mobile modems as well (MG2 version). I'm on VM and have successfully used both Sprint and VM modems interchangeably.
Thanks! I'll try them out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mr. Struck
Old
(Last edited by Mr. Struck; 3rd December 2013 at 04:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 277
Quote:
Thanks! I'll try them out.

Sprint modems here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1787677
VM modems here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531819
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Struck For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radrobe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Struck View Post
Hey, just to be clear, I just flash these modems after the I flash a ROM? Do I need wipe or format anything prior to flashing it?

JG96EVO
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Hey, just to be clear, I just flash these modems after the I flash a ROM? Do I need wipe or format anything prior to flashing it?

Just wipe ur cache and dalvick cache then flash the modem and reboot then if ur on touchwiz do a prl update and profile update
Im me whether u like it or not... Oh and i have a NS4G and a ET4G by the way

The Following User Says Thank You to JG96EVO For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

creep138
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I heard all aosp roms sucks with data. Something about using an outdated ril file that sprint doesn't open source anymore.

Coming from years with aosp ROMs on my phone, getting used to touchwiz sucks. But I do have to say 4.3 mk3 update doesn't lag or suck up my battery much. Just use a different launcher, I use nova beta without any problems changing DPI.

I do miss cyanogenmod lol
death by device