Ubuntu - GRUB Rescue - HELP!

Tip us?

Silicon Knight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Default Ubuntu - GRUB Rescue - HELP!

So basically I am an Idiot and I messed up my install of Ubuntu 12.04 that i had dual booted with Windows 8.1. I tried to update to 13.04 and That's what messed it up at first. It wouldn't let me boot into Ubuntu anymore. Every time I chose Ubuntu it would go to a black screen and that's it. Entered the recovery a few times and attempted repair but to no avail. So I booted into windows. Got Ubuntu 13.04 iso and made a bootable DVD.

Now here is where I am an idiot. For some reason I thought I should just delete all of the partitions Ubuntu was on so I could start fresh. So I did so and rebooted. Instead of booting into my DVD I got the grub rescue command line. And that's all I can get now. Won't let me go into bios or boot menu, so I have no way to set it to boot from disc drive in order to boot from either my boot-repair disc or Ubuntu DVD. So I have absolutely no idea what to do now. I'm usually pretty good at fixing PC's but this one is a bit above my pay grade. No

Any ideas ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mradermaxlol
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Knight View Post
So basically I am an Idiot and I messed up my install of Ubuntu 12.04 that i had dual booted with Windows 8.1. I tried to update to 13.04 and That's what messed it up at first. It wouldn't let me boot into Ubuntu anymore. Every time I chose Ubuntu it would go to a black screen and that's it. Entered the recovery a few times and attempted repair but to no avail. So I booted into windows. Got Ubuntu 13.04 iso and made a bootable DVD.

Now here is where I am an idiot. For some reason I thought I should just delete all of the partitions Ubuntu was on so I could start fresh. So I did so and rebooted. Instead of booting into my DVD I got the grub rescue command line. And that's all I can get now. Won't let me go into bios or boot menu, so I have no way to set it to boot from disc drive in order to boot from either my boot-repair disc or Ubuntu DVD. So I have absolutely no idea what to do now. I'm usually pretty good at fixing PC's but this one is a bit above my pay grade. No

Any ideas ?

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Oooh, bro, got that too. U have to do a remap of HDD. If it won't help (is in my case), I think ur HDD is done

Отправлено с моего Nexus 7 через Tapatalk
Quote:
Don't be a slowpoke or a leming, be a chipmunk.
- The Crazy Chipmunk

Aka me

veeman
Old
Thanks Meter 1506
http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

spegelius
Old
Thanks Meter 233

DONATE TO ME
Hmm, no BIOS? What kind of computer is it? In most machines theres some key that when you press it during POST it should show you the boot menu. On my laptop its Esc, on some mobos it's F8 or F10 or so...

Then again if your pc has EFI or something like that, you might've deleted some partition related to that... but i don't know very much about EFI and such. i thought (and hope) that disk based BIOS setup systems are a ting in the past, i remember one Compaq which had at least part of the setup on HD...

The grub rescue has a command line, if you feel up to learning it you might just be able to make it boot