XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unable to Encrypt TF700 with Cromi-X 5.2a

Tip us?

Soccerdad91016
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Unable to Encrypt TF700 with Cromi-X 5.2a

I am trying to encrypt my device (to satisfy BYOD rules for my employer) and have not been able to get it to work.

I have setup a PIN and followed the following with my device fully charged and plugged in.

1. Select encrypt from Security
2. Click the encrypt button at the bottom
3. Enter my PIN
4. From the follow up encrypt screen I click the encrypt button at the bottom again
5. Tablet reboots by itself
6. I am presented with a Android logo (robot with gears in the middle) for about a minute
7. Tablet then reboots by itself back to the system
8. I check the encrypt setting in Security and it looks exactly the same as before (like my device is not encrypted)

I do not receive any error message

I've tried this with and without my SD card in place.

I've tried this in the keyboard and out of the dock.

It's the same result every time.

I am running Cromi-x 5.2a (just installed over the Thanksgiving weekend) and have done some tweaks with Pimp my Rom.

Appreciate any suggestions as to why my device will not encrypt, or throw any error messages.

Soccerdad91016
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Additional testing

OK, did some additional testing.

After the above steps failed, I did another factory reset and wipe of my device (Asus tf700) and then executed the following:

1. After the reset/wipe I flashed Cromi-X 5.2a (US build with _that kernel v6)

2. I then set my PIN (4 numbers because I'm lazy)

3. I then selected Encrypt from the Security menu and selected the Encrypt button

4. My PIN was successfully entered

5. On the second encrypt screen I selected the encrypt button

As before my device rebooted by itself, and also as before I got a screen with just the green android robot with gears in the middle

Also as before, After a very short period of time (a few minutes at most) the tablet rebooted itself.

This time however, I got a different response. Instead of booting all the way through to the lock screen. The system just hangs at the Cromi-X boot screen (spinning circle).

I even let it sit all night thinking it was "encrypting", but nope came up in the morning and it was still just sitting there.

One more item to note, this time when I went to reset/wipe my device I did get a message in TWRP that my device was encrypted. I had to enter my PIN in order to wipe/reset the device.

So while it won't boot, some sort of encryption happened.

HELP!!??