OK, did some additional testing.
After the above steps failed, I did another factory reset and wipe of my device (Asus tf700) and then executed the following:
1. After the reset/wipe I flashed Cromi-X 5.2a (US build with _that kernel v6)
2. I then set my PIN (4 numbers because I'm lazy)
3. I then selected Encrypt from the Security menu and selected the Encrypt button
4. My PIN was successfully entered
5. On the second encrypt screen I selected the encrypt button
As before my device rebooted by itself, and also as before I got a screen with just the green android robot with gears in the middle
Also as before, After a very short period of time (a few minutes at most) the tablet rebooted itself.
This time however, I got a different response. Instead of booting all the way through to the lock screen. The system just hangs at the Cromi-X boot screen (spinning circle).
I even let it sit all night thinking it was "encrypting", but nope came up in the morning and it was still just sitting there.
One more item to note, this time when I went to reset/wipe my device I did get a message in TWRP that my device was encrypted. I had to enter my PIN in order to wipe/reset the device.
So while it won't boot, some sort of encryption happened.