XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hboot 1.09

Tip us?

Corrion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Hboot 1.09

I currently don't have any major issues with the phone, but I noticed a lot of people with either Hboot 2.14 and 2.15 while I'm on Hboot 1.09. I bought this phone at release, always stuck with CleanROM, and now currently on CleanROM 7.0 P1. Is there a good reason why I should run the AT&T 3.18 RUU to update my Hboot to 2.14, or can I just stick with 1.09? If performance and stability can be improved by upgrading, I can be persuaded.

Thanks. Details are below:

EVITA S-OFF
CID - 11111111
HBOOT - 1.09.0000
RADIO - 1.31a.32.45.16_2

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4641

DONATE TO ME
Basically it goes like this:

The 2.14 firmware is required to flash any current aosp ROM. If you don't have that firmware installed the ROM simply won't install.

The 2.15 firmware is required on any Sense 5 ROM to stop signal loss and reboot issues. These issues can also be avoided by flashing the Beastmode kernel.

Note how I referred to it as firmware and not hboot. There is a common misconception that it is just the hboot that is required, this is false. It is the firmware package as a whole that's required, of which the hboot is just one component of. I think the reason people make this mistake is because the firmware is referred to by the hboot number (1.09, 1.14, 2.14, 2.15).

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | KarbonKat 4.4.2 1.0-5
S-off | 2.14 | Modified TWRP 2.6.3
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

redpoint73
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2587
The radio number listed in the OP is for the Sense 5 radio. So the OP must have flashed that radio separately from the 2.15 firmware package at some point, if they are on hboot 1.09 and have always been so.

If no signal drops of random reboots are experienced, there isn't a reason to update to the 2.15 hboot and associated firmware. Either you are in the population that simply does not experience that problem, or having the 1.31 radio has already resolved it. It has been suspected that the radio is the main culprit, but I don't think it was ever confirmed that flashing the Sense 5 radio (1.31) alone without the other 2.15 firmware solves the issue.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: HTC One X (AT&T version) Rooted, Bootloader Unlocked, S-Off

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (WiFi only) Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Corrion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73 View Post
The radio number listed in the OP is for the Sense 5 radio. So the OP must have flashed that radio separately from the 2.15 firmware package at some point, if they are on hboot 1.09 and have always been so.

If no signal drops of random reboots are experienced, there isn't a reason to update to the 2.15 hboot and associated firmware. Either you are in the population that simply does not experience that problem, or having the 1.31 radio has already resolved it. It has been suspected that the radio is the main culprit, but I don't think it was ever confirmed that flashing the Sense 5 radio (1.31) alone without the other 2.15 firmware solves the issue.
You are correct, I did have to flash the radio separately using carl1961's firmware in his Sense 5 ROM (along with the wifi and DSP img). Sure enough, this fixed all issues I had with the radio. I guess in my situation, I didn't have to update the hboot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaaa View Post
Basically it goes like this:

The 2.14 firmware is required to flash any current aosp ROM. If you don't have that firmware installed the ROM simply won't install.

The 2.15 firmware is required on any Sense 5 ROM to stop signal loss and reboot issues. These issues can also be avoided by flashing the Beastmode kernel.

Note how I referred to it as firmware and not hboot. There is a common misconception that it is just the hboot that is required, this is false. It is the firmware package as a whole that's required, of which the hboot is just one component of. I think the reason people make this mistake is because the firmware is referred to by the hboot number (1.09, 1.14, 2.14, 2.15).

Sent from my Evita
I think I understand your explanation when I make it analogous to PC terms: hboot is more like the BIOS, firmwares are packages that include the BIOS and drivers (radio, wifi, etc.), and the HTC RUU is a stock image that includes the BIOS, operating system, and drivers. That would explain why I was able to update the radio and wifi without touching my hboot. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for both your explanations, looks like I'll stick with 1.09 for the indefinite future.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4641

DONATE TO ME
Yes your analogy is spot on.

Sent from my Evita
HTC Evita | KarbonKat 4.4.2 1.0-5
S-off | 2.14 | Modified TWRP 2.6.3
Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!