XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problem updating modem

Tip us?

ubizmo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Problem updating modem

I've managed to install the Jovy build of 4.3, along with his modified kernel. I downloaded the 4.3 modem file, but I'm having no success installing it. I'm using Odin3 1.85, and having no problem getting into download mode. I put the modem.bin file in the "Phone" slot in Odin. It takes a few seconds and then informs me that the installation was successful, but "About Device" tells me the MDL modem is still there.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think what it could be. On the chance that I somehow got the wrong modem file, I downloaded again, just to be sure.

Is there any other magic to installing modem files?

Cal-El
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
I've managed to install the Jovy build of 4.3, along with his modified kernel. I downloaded the 4.3 modem file, but I'm having no success installing it. I'm using Odin3 1.85, and having no problem getting into download mode. I put the modem.bin file in the "Phone" slot in Odin. It takes a few seconds and then informs me that the installation was successful, but "About Device" tells me the MDL modem is still there.

I assume I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think what it could be. On the chance that I somehow got the wrong modem file, I downloaded again, just to be sure.

Is there any other magic to installing modem files?
First off I think you need to be on 4.2.2 in order for the modem flash to take (I could be wrong there.) But I do know you need to pull your battery then go into download mode (Press and hold power button and volume button down then volume up). If you go into download mode from the power menu the modem flash will not stick.
White Galaxy S4
SGH-M919
Philz Touch
Goldeneye MGA W/Ktoonz
Running whatever is new to play with.
I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul!
-Toby Mack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal-El For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ubizmo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-El View Post
First off I think you need to be on 4.2.2 in order for the modem flash to take (I could be wrong there.) But I do know you need to pull your battery then go into download mode (Press and hold power button and volume button down then volume up). If you go into download mode from the power menu the modem flash will not stick.
Wow, that worked first try! I had been using QuickBoot to go into download mode. I never would have though I'd have to do the battery pull and three-finger salute, when the end result--download mode--appeared to be exactly the same. But I did it and the modem flashed in, well, a flash. Thanks so much for the help!

Cal-El
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
Wow, that worked first try! I had been using QuickBoot to go into download mode. I never would have though I'd have to do the battery pull and three-finger salute, when the end result--download mode--appeared to be exactly the same. But I did it and the modem flashed in, well, a flash. Thanks so much for the help!
My pleasure. I only know because I ran into the same issue earlier today and remembered that trick from the old days of the vibrant lol. Apparently there are still some things running in the background even if you reboot into download. Doing the battery pull insures there is nothing else running to block the flash.
White Galaxy S4
SGH-M919
Philz Touch
Goldeneye MGA W/Ktoonz
Running whatever is new to play with.
I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul!
-Toby Mack.

Android_Monsters
Old
Thanks Meter 760
This method works : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544612

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tazzman169
Old
Thanks Meter 0
took me several times before the modem stuck... but almost seems to be worse signal than the MDL version... is this possible?

ubizmo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman169 View Post
took me several times before the modem stuck... but almost seems to be worse signal than the MDL version... is this possible?
It's possible. I haven't done much testing yet but I usually have four bars at home. With this modem I have three. But no drops!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk