XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Kies issues

Tip us?

HeDsh0t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Kies issues

Obviously, kies is a **** piece of software. My phone connected once, where I did a full backup, and proceeded to restore stock mf3 firmware through Odin, which worked fine. Now...I cannot connect to Kies to update to Android 4.3. It comes up in explorer and everything works fine, but i get "Connecting" in Kies and then an unsupported device message. Any known fixes?

HORiZUN
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Is 4.3 worth losing SafeStrap?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Galaxy S4 | MDL, Unlocked, TWRP, Hyperdrive 13
Transformer Prime | Unlocked, NvFlash, TWRP, CM 11
Nook Tablet | Cyanoboot, TWRP, Rescue SD, CM 11
HP 4540s | Hackintosh, OSX 10.9.1/Windows 8, 2TB, 8GB
iPad 4 Retina | iOS 7.0.4, Jailbroken / Wife's iPhone 5c | Stock
Xbox 360 | LT+FW / PS3 | 4.46 CFW, 1TB / PSP | 6.60 CFW

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeDsh0t View Post
Obviously, kies is a **** piece of software. My phone connected once, where I did a full backup, and proceeded to restore stock mf3 firmware through Odin, which worked fine. Now...I cannot connect to Kies to update to Android 4.3. It comes up in explorer and everything works fine, but i get "Connecting" in Kies and then an unsupported device message. Any known fixes?
Kies works just fine if you use it for what it is intended for. If it connected to your phone before, but will not now it is because something on your phone or your PC changed not Kies. Also, Kies does not have the 4.3 firmware yet, so it wouldn't update your phone anyway. You either have to get the OTA or side load the update. It sounds to me like you have a driver issue, but it's definitely something on your side if it connected before.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
P-ROM (1st Gen.), De-Odexed, AMDL
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

HeDsh0t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORiZUN View Post

To be honest, Im not sure what that is. I rooted my phone on mf3 firmware, and couldnt unlock my bootloader, unless I would install Echoe 4.3 rom, but cant install a custom recovery.

HORiZUN
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Find the sticky in the general section about SafeStrap for MF3 firmware before you update the device to 4.3. You may change your mind.

Galaxy S4 | MDL, Unlocked, TWRP, Hyperdrive 13
Transformer Prime | Unlocked, NvFlash, TWRP, CM 11
Nook Tablet | Cyanoboot, TWRP, Rescue SD, CM 11
HP 4540s | Hackintosh, OSX 10.9.1/Windows 8, 2TB, 8GB
iPad 4 Retina | iOS 7.0.4, Jailbroken / Wife's iPhone 5c | Stock
Xbox 360 | LT+FW / PS3 | 4.46 CFW, 1TB / PSP | 6.60 CFW

HeDsh0t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORiZUN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719 View Post
Kies works just fine if you use it for what it is intended for. If it connected to your phone before, but will not now it is because something on your phone or your PC changed not Kies. Also, Kies does not have the 4.3 firmware yet, so it wouldn't update your phone anyway. You either have to get the OTA or side load the update. It sounds to me like you have a driver issue, but it's definitely something on your side if it connected before.
I have no idea what I could be doing wrong, it seems 90% of people have issues with this poorly coded software.

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 787
Quote:
I have no idea what I could be doing wrong, it seems 90% of people have issues with this poorly coded software.
90% of the people are not using it correctly. Like I said, it works just fine for what it is intended for. It was not intended to use on a phone that has been modified or changed in any way other than factory specs for any reason. It is not supposed to re-flash firmware on a phone that was messed up modifying in any way...that includes rooting. So if you are trying to use Kies for any reason, and do not have a 100% stock phone, it is already user error. Also, the correct drivers need to be installed for it to work.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

Make sure you read and understand the "PINNED" threads in the "General" and "Q & A" sections of the AT&T S4 forum BEFORE you ask for help. Use the forum's "search" function to find posts with additional information. You should not expect others to help you if you haven't tried to help yourself first. Also, read, understand, and follow the "XDA" rules.

HeDsh0t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
90% of the people are not using it correctly. Like I said, it works just fine for what it is intended for. It was not intended to use on a phone that has been modified or changed in any way other than factory specs for any reason. It is not supposed to re-flash firmware on a phone that was messed up modifying in any way...that includes rooting. So if you are trying to use Kies for any reason, and do not have a 100% stock phone, it is already user error. Also, the correct drivers need to be installed for it to work.
I AM 100% stock, thats the thing. It actually worked when i was rooted, and now that I am on stock, it doesn't work

scott14719
Old
Thanks Meter 787
Quote:
I AM 100% stock, thats the thing. It actually worked when i was rooted, and now that I am on stock, it doesn't work
Also, MF3 was never on Kies either so I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not. Plus, you can always try Kies3 and see if it will connect.
SGH-I337 (AT&T) 32GB
Rooted
Auto-LOKI OUDHS CWM

HeDsh0t
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Also, MF3 was never on Kies either so I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not. Plus, you can always try Kies3 and see if it will connect.

Looked into safestrap...might do that and flash a custom Echoe rom at 4.3