5,593,793 Members 43,969 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will updating a rooted Note 3 in Kies brick my phone?

Tip us?

djtiko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] Will updating a rooted Note 3 in Kies brick my phone?

Hey guys

I have a Galaxy note 3 with Rogers here in Canada (SM-N900W8) and I know there has been 2 updates released (MJ1 and MJ4) but I havent been able to update over the air because my phone is rooted and flagged and my knox trigger is flagged as well.

Using Wanam xposed I have my status set to official and I can download the new update but the installation will fail.

Anyway so I connected my phone to KIES and it says I can update, however before I update it says if my phone is rooted its possible I can brick my phone.

So my questions are, 2 install these updates (MJ1 and MJ4), will it brick my phone? If it doesnt will I lose my root? Can I reroot on these latest firmwares and lastly is there reasons why maybe I should stay at my current firmware?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Ive tried searching and I didnt have much luck

Thanks

radicalisto
Old
(Last edited by radicalisto; 4th December 2013 at 08:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1165

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtiko View Post
Hey guys

I have a Galaxy note 3 with Rogers here in Canada (SM-N900W8) and I know there has been 2 updates released (MJ1 and MJ4) but I havent been able to update over the air because my phone is rooted and flagged and my knox trigger is flagged as well.

Using Wanam xposed I have my status set to official and I can download the new update but the installation will fail.

Anyway so I connected my phone to KIES and it says I can update, however before I update it says if my phone is rooted its possible I can brick my phone.

So my questions are, 2 install these updates (MJ1 and MJ4), will it brick my phone? If it doesnt will I lose my root? Can I reroot on these latest firmwares and lastly is there reasons why maybe I should stay at my current firmware?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Ive tried searching and I didnt have much luck

Thanks
Short answer is NO.

I updated mine via KIES to MJ7 (I'm on the N9005) - while rooted. KIES says you "may" encounter problems but mine was fine and I re-rooted with ease (already tripped KNOX so no worry there for me) _- as for your firmware on the N900W8 - not sure if you can root with the latest firmware or not personally
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung