5,606,530 Members 33,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tried upgrading, now can't get to the home screen, I ruined the recovery.

Tip us?

Achiron
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Tried upgrading, now can't get to the home screen, I ruined the recovery.

I have the 2ndbootin thing, the stock moto recovery, and never ending boot animation. If I wipe the cache using the moto recovery, I can get it past the boot loop and then it gets stuck in "android is upgrading". I figured I can flash a custom recovery using RSD, the problem is I don't know, and googling the problem didn't came up with useful solutions. My top priority is to get the phone working again, and that it will have the data is got now (though I did a backup of the data before starting this failed upgrade).

Also relevant:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post48088388

leandrolutz
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiron View Post
I have the 2ndbootin thing, the stock moto recovery, and never ending boot animation. If I wipe the cache using the moto recovery, I can get it past the boot loop and then it gets stuck in "android is upgrading". I figured I can flash a custom recovery using RSD, the problem is I don't know, and googling the problem didn't came up with useful solutions. My top priority is to get the phone working again, and that it will have the data is got now (though I did a backup of the data before starting this failed upgrade).
Man, you need to start again from stock.
Install the stock SBF using RSD, root, install 2ndinit, install CM10, install CM10.2, install the updaterecovery.zip package, reboot (don't wipe), then install CM11 and Gapps. It worked for me, it worked for other defy users, it will work for you.

Achiron
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandrolutz View Post
Man, you need to start again from stock.
Install the stock SBF using RSD, root, install 2ndinit, install CM10, install CM10.2, install the updaterecovery.zip package, reboot (don't wipe), then install CM11 and Gapps. It worked for me, it worked for other defy users, it will work for you.
I gave up and went to the RSD, downloaded what I thought was he right SBF, flashed it in RSD, and after it finished the device is BRICKED. No lights, it doesn't turn on.

leandrolutz
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiron View Post
I gave up and went to the RSD, downloaded what I thought was he right SBF, flashed it in RSD, and after it finished the device is BRICKED. No lights, it doesn't turn on.
The defy doesn't really brick, because the bootloader is locked.
It may be no charge in the battery...
You need to use an external charger, or McGyver method, because the defy won't charge by the usb or wall charger...
After you make it, try RSD again, and choose the right SBF, from your carrier.
Hope it helps... gogogo defy
Tags
brick defy