5,600,335 Members 34,168 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"Old(er)" Smartphones and their chance on OmniROM ?

Tip us?

itsmemario
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default "Old(er)" Smartphones and their chance on OmniROM ?

Dear Omni ROM team,

ever since waiting for my upgrade to Android 4.0.4 on my LG Optimus 3D, I was wondering, how the community would treat such devices in the near future.

Why is a 2011 smartphone already considered "old" and why not ? The Optimus 3D is no exception here and I hope I can start a discussion about this matter here.

On my Optimus 3D I can run (nearly) any app, without problems, without frameloss. I can take photos in a good quality, I can listen to mp3s, use it as flashlight, I can use youtube, facebook or use it as a navigation system. It tells me about the weather, I can recieve emails and sms and in the end I can use it as phone. Just like any other smartphone.

I have to admit, I dont have OctaCore, I dont have 4 GB of RAM and I cant use the android PS2 emulator above 12 fps. But that is okay to me. Maybe adding a lighter to smartphones would be a good idea. Or a knife, or a screwdriver...

Im not one of those "Hey, I got the newest Android Custom ROM on my device, how about you ?" guys. But for sure I dont want to be the last guy on earth using 4.0.4. Also, I wont buy a new device, just to have a newer android running.
For example, I maybe think of the day that I want to download an app and it will throw out an error ala "You need Android 4.4 to run this", while I know, that my device is still able to run that app / still powerfull enough to run that app.

I just recieved a LG G2 from my provider today and already decided to sell it on eBay. It wont recieve Android 4.3 and probably around march 2014, LG might introduce Android 4.4 for it. Might...sounds just like the story of the Optimus 3D to me. Sounds just like the story of most other smartphone brands out there.

Google claims, KitKat "was made" for devices with 512 MB RAM. Hey, I DO have that !
So why cant I use it ?

I know, it will never come. Neither from LG, nor from Cyanogen. Maybe as OmniROM ? I dont think so.

But why is that ? Is it "just" the huge variety of different smartphone models that makes development teams concentrate on the "newer" ones only ?
Are there just too many different smartphones around...too many to cover them all with custom roms ?

Why even include a function like OTA into smartphones, if a smartphone is already considered "old" after 1 year and beeing forgotten ?

It happened on the notebook/netbook/laptop market already. 10+ year old devices running on WIndows 7. Linux, Mac OSX and even Android (x86) made it into the PC sector.

Even the HTC Dream has a higher Andorid version then mine now. And it (nearly) works perfect.

I can see Optimus 3D development coming to a stop soon on xda. I try to understand why, but it is not easy.

What are your thoughts ?

doctor_droid
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1587
•Lack of proper documentation .. (similar to galaxy nexus)
•Lack of a dedicated device maintainer(must for omni rom )
• that time developers now shifted to newer devices
• optimus3d was never a flagship ..hence never got any real attention..
•too heavy
•dedicated device owners who got lg g2 decided to sell g2 instead of o3d

itsmemario
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_droid View Post
•Lack of proper documentation .. (similar to galaxy nexus)
I hate LG for that.

Quote:
•Lack of a dedicated device maintainer(must for omni rom )
You dooo like the Optimus 3D *magic hand gesticulation*

Quote:
• that time developers now shifted to newer devices
Switch back to the Optimus 3D...if you ever had one. *magic hand gesticulation*

Quote:
• optimus3d was never a flagship ..hence never got any real attention..
It is still very powerfull...*magic hand gesticulation*

Quote:
•too heavy
In terms of weight ? o_O

Quote:
•dedicated device owners who got lg g2 decided to sell g2 instead of o3d
[/QUOTE]

Im not that dedicated owner who got lg g2 and sold it. *magic hand gesticulation*

Maybe LG will re-think about their update policy next year... x'D