5,606,588 Members 34,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it possible to lower the resolution in android?

Tip us?

Rzarector
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Is it possible to lower the resolution in android?

I don't really see a difference between my S3 and S4 and my S3 used to last a lot longer than my new S4 does (barely lasts a day sometimes).

I was wondering if it was possible to change some setting in order to lower the resolution by default to 720p to let the GPU stress less when playing games and such.

I've seen some apps, but they just seem to change the DPI.

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector View Post
I don't really see a difference between my S3 and S4 and my S3 used to last a lot longer than my new S4 does (barely lasts a day sometimes).

I was wondering if it was possible to change some setting in order to lower the resolution by default to 720p to let the GPU stress less when playing games and such.

I've seen some apps, but they just seem to change the DPI.
I don't think so. And even if you could I don't think it would save battery life. The native resolution of the screen is 1080. If you tried to push it down to 720 it would need a processing layer doing constant resolution conversion. It might use MORE battery rather than less.

How much screen on time do you get between charges? It should be 5 to 6 hours of actual time when the screen is on plus phone calls. If it's less than that we can figure out what's wrong. If you're getting that, then that's just as good as it's going to get with teh stock battery and your next best bet is to get an extended battery.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

Rzarector
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post
I don't think so. And even if you could I don't think it would save battery life. The native resolution of the screen is 1080. If you tried to push it down to 720 it would need a processing layer doing constant resolution conversion. It might use MORE battery rather than less.

How much screen on time do you get between charges? It should be 5 to 6 hours of actual time when the screen is on plus phone calls. If it's less than that we can figure out what's wrong. If you're getting that, then that's just as good as it's going to get with teh stock battery and your next best bet is to get an extended battery.
I get about 3 hours of screen on time a day before I have to charge again, but I'm starting a fresh charge now so I'll reply this evening when it's done.

Also, I mostly use it for whatsapp and just browsing the internet (sometimes streaming with play now).

worktorest
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipjacks View Post

Is it possible to get 5-6 hrs of screen time with stock battery? The screen brightness and lte is going to drain it faster than that.

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3505
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktorest View Post
Is it possible to get 5-6 hrs of screen time with stock battery? The screen brightness and lte is going to drain it faster than that.
I get it every single time. I usually go 4 days between charges too.

Look at the link in my signature about battery life. There is good info in there on how to improve yours.

Sent from your phone. You should be more careful where you leave that thing.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!