XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do you have terrible battery life: AT&T One converted to GPE 4.4

Tip us?

markjo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Do you have terrible battery life: AT&T One converted to GPE 4.4

Has anyone else with an AT&T One converted to GPE 4.4 been experiencning horrifying battery life? I am running an entirely stock GPE conversion, including recovery, kernel, etc, latest firmware, radio, etc. On a fresh install (NO Google settings changed from defaults), off Wi-Fi and with consistent good LTE signal, my phone will drain from 100% to 75% in about 2 hours. That is with no apps installed and a screen-on time of only 45 minutes, texting and web browsing. Such battery drain is very consistent.

With all of my usual apps installed, some of which include GroupMe, Facebook, Maps, and a couple others, battery life doesn't change for better or worse.

And this has always been the case for me with any sort of GPE conversion. Well, with any ROM for that matter. I had the same astronomically bad battery life when I OTA'd from stock to AT&T 4.3. In fact, the ONLY time my phone has what I would consider good battery life is when running stock AT&T 4.1.2. I can reach up to 3.5 hours of screen-on time over the course of a day and a half that way.

Anyone else? Lots of threads and complaints about this, but I'm wondering if having an AT&T phone converted to an "international"/"Google Play Edition"/"Developer Edition" is to blame some how? Radio perhaps?

Anoubis282
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thumbs up me too

++terible battery life...s-off unlocked vodafone version converted to wwe 4.3 unrooted all stock.It seems that this is an android 4.3 issue thar remains in 4.4....
[CURRENT DEVICE] HTC One (ALWAYS HTC PHONE)
[HBOOT] BlackRose 1.55 S-OFF
[ROM] Stock 4.3 5.5 Sense_
[RADIO] Stock
[KERNEL] Official htc

rocktv88
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yes, 4.3 seems better. I only used few days. Need to use bit long to see.

Ktan188
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjo View Post
Has anyone else with an AT&T One converted to GPE 4.4 been experiencning horrifying battery life? I am running an entirely stock GPE conversion, including recovery, kernel, etc, latest firmware, radio, etc. On a fresh install (NO Google settings changed from defaults), off Wi-Fi and with consistent good LTE signal, my phone will drain from 100% to 75% in about 2 hours. That is with no apps installed and a screen-on time of only 45 minutes, texting and web browsing. Such battery drain is very consistent.

With all of my usual apps installed, some of which include GroupMe, Facebook, Maps, and a couple others, battery life doesn't change for better or worse.

And this has always been the case for me with any sort of GPE conversion. Well, with any ROM for that matter. I had the same astronomically bad battery life when I OTA'd from stock to AT&T 4.3. In fact, the ONLY time my phone has what I would consider good battery life is when running stock AT&T 4.1.2. I can reach up to 3.5 hours of screen-on time over the course of a day and a half that way.

Anyone else? Lots of threads and complaints about this, but I'm wondering if having an AT&T phone converted to an "international"/"Google Play Edition"/"Developer Edition" is to blame some how? Radio perhaps?
You have to give the phone time to adjust to the new software. Give it a few charge cycles.

swag1981
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I cannot remember how the battery life was for me on sense 4.1.2 because i installed a GPE 4.3 ROM and the batterly life was terrible on that. I ran battery calibration multiple times because my charge would go from 14% to 1%; powering off in less than a minute. Now i did do the conversion to GPE the other day and like you i am running the stock kernel, recovery, radio, firmware etc etc and the battery life compared to the ROM is amazing. I also enabled ART immediately so i cannot compare it to dalvik, but you may want to try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjo View Post

markjo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swag1981 View Post
I cannot remember how the battery life was for me on sense 4.1.2 because i installed a GPE 4.3 ROM and the batterly life was terrible on that. I ran battery calibration multiple times because my charge would go from 14% to 1%; powering off in less than a minute. Now i did do the conversion to GPE the other day and like you i am running the stock kernel, recovery, radio, firmware etc etc and the battery life compared to the ROM is amazing. I also enabled ART immediately so i cannot compare it to dalvik, but you may want to try that out.
Would you mind telling me what firmware you are running? The latest GPE 4.4? I used ART for a few days and don't recall a difference, but I'm currently going back to it to see if things improve.