5,605,766 Members 47,898 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Present for daughter - unlock, S-OFF, GSM still doable?

Tip us?

vettejock99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Present for daughter - unlock, S-OFF, GSM still doable?

Hey all,

So I've done some searching here, but I cannot find a concise, definitive answer to my questions. I'm buying a first phone for my daughter for Christmas, mainly for use as an MP3 and video player, but also for emergencies. She's still young, so when I say emergency we were leaning towards ONLY FOR A 911 TYPE EMERGENCY, as I believe those are placed even if the phone isn't activated. Anyway, her mom and I are on a GSM carrier so if we did activate it, we'd likely do it there, or a very cheap CDMA provider like Page Plus. So if I buy a phone off eBay or Craigslist today, regardless of whatever HBOOT/BOOTLOADER or ROM it has on it, can I still root it, use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader, the toolkit to S-OFF, and then flash a 4.X ROM and use GSM if I desire?

Thanks for any help! If this will work then I'll go this route and she'll be very excited!!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettejock99 View Post
Hey all,

So I've done some searching here, but I cannot find a concise, definitive answer to my questions. I'm buying a first phone for my daughter for Christmas, mainly for use as an MP3 and video player, but also for emergencies. She's still young, so when I say emergency we were leaning towards ONLY FOR A 911 TYPE EMERGENCY, as I believe those are placed even if the phone isn't activated. Anyway, her mom and I are on a GSM carrier so if we did activate it, we'd likely do it there, or a very cheap CDMA provider like Page Plus. So if I buy a phone off eBay or Craigslist today, regardless of whatever HBOOT/BOOTLOADER or ROM it has on it, can I still root it, use HTC Dev to unlock the bootloader, the toolkit to S-OFF, and then flash a 4.X ROM and use GSM if I desire?

Thanks for any help! If this will work then I'll go this route and she'll be very excited!!
The answer is yes, you can do that... the phone will work for E911 calls without being activated. You can also unlock, S-OFF, root, ROM and everything else like you said, although the Rezound is a little more complicated than to S-OFF than just using a toolkit it is doable with some homework and a little Linux knowledge, but to be honest, GSM works fine (Edge data only, 3G/4G higher possible with significant tweaking on some GSM carriers) on the stock 4.5.605.14 ROM.

If you know you will likely be activating this on a GSM carrier, why not get a phone designed for that right off the bat? Several unlocked GSM phones can be purchased for around the same price as the Rez, like the Galaxy Nexus, Sony Xperia S, HTC Sensation, Samsung GS2 GT-I9100 or similar phones. Don't get me wrong, I love the Rezound, but for ease of use on a GSM carrier with full 3G data you migh be better off looking at a phone suited to that purpose.

Yes, it's doable, just know what you are in for...
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Stock KitKat/Rooted)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

vettejock99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Thanks you.SO much! I've done wire tricks on some phones before and I think I'm learning that is the challenge here, but I should be good. I appreciate the other thoughts as well. To your question, well, we have poor GSM coverage in a number of spots around here, even we my wife and I using it, and CDMA seems like a good emergency precaution.

Thanks again so much!!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettejock99 View Post
Thanks you.SO much! I've done wire tricks on some phones before and I think I'm learning that is the challenge here, but I should be good. I appreciate the other thoughts as well. To your question, well, we have poor GSM coverage in a number of spots around here, even we my wife and I using it, and CDMA seems like a good emergency precaution.

Thanks again so much!!
Cool... Note that activating the Rezound on PagePlus requires significant "tweaking" and a donor PagePlus phone to clone the ESN/MEID, PagePlus will not activate the Rezound as it is, neither will any other CDMA carrier but Verizon, and even then they won't do it on a prepaid plan. People have mentioned before that Cricket will do it, but the results have been mixed.

As long as you are aware of the issues and what you might need to do, go for it. Although for use as a video player, I would recommend an extended battery, the screen time on a standard battery is >2 hours. :/
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Stock KitKat/Rooted)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

vettejock99
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
Cool... Note that activating the Rezound on PagePlus requires significant "tweaking" and a donor PagePlus phone to clone the ESN/MEID, PagePlus will not activate the Rezound as it is, neither will any other CDMA carrier but Verizon, and even then they won't do it on a prepaid plan. People have mentioned before that Cricket will do it, but the results have been mixed.

As long as you are aware of the issues and what you might need to do, go for it. Although for use as a video player, I would recommend an extended battery, the screen time on a standard battery is >2 hours. :/
Excellent points. Yeah, I had a S3 on PP for a while and it was a pain - actually CDMA overall is a pain to me so I probably won't do it. Per your advice - looking for an extended battery right now!