XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4 OTA update failure

Tip us?

blackic3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.4 OTA update failure

Hi - im a bit of a newb at this so bear with me!

i recently unlocked my bootloader and installed a stock 4.3 JWR66Y.H1 gpe rom and TWRP.

i am now getting the OTA notification but when i try to update it boots in to twrp, flashes the update, reboots and then i end up with a weird green screen. i have restored a backup in twrp back to 4.3, and everytime i try and install the update it does the same thing.

the phone is s-on - i have tried to s-off using rumrunner but it doesnt seem to like the rom and wont work (im on hboot 1.54).

any help would be greatly appreciated in getting the update to flash properly.

Ktan188
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackic3 View Post
Hi - im a bit of a newb at this so bear with me!

i recently unlocked my bootloader and installed a stock 4.3 JWR66Y.H1 gpe rom and TWRP.

i am now getting the OTA notification but when i try to update it boots in to twrp, flashes the update, reboots and then i end up with a weird green screen. i have restored a backup in twrp back to 4.3, and everytime i try and install the update it does the same thing.

the phone is s-on - i have tried to s-off using rumrunner but it doesnt seem to like the rom and wont work (im on hboot 1.54).

any help would be greatly appreciated in getting the update to flash properly.
Make sure you follow all the instructions for rumrunner. You can't flash any unsigned firmware on s-on. Try manually flashing the update. Download the update and flash in recovery.

blackic3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktan188 View Post
Make sure you follow all the instructions for rumrunner. You can't flash any unsigned firmware on s-on. Try manually flashing the update. Download the update and flash in recovery.
so to clarify - the ota update is failing because the phone is s-on?

i have flashed the elemental kernel and will try rumrunner again later if thats the case.

p1zaul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 4.4 rom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackic3 View Post
so to clarify - the ota update is failing because the phone is s-on?

i have flashed the elemental kernel and will try rumrunner again later if thats the case.
Having same issue, is there a ROM that can be loaded instead of going through ota update. I can't get s off to work no matter what I try

SaHiLzZ
Old
Thanks Meter 297
You MUST get S-OFF before you get 4.4 OTA, as if things go south, you are in big do-do. Read the last 5-6 pages and you will get an idea.

So do NOT install OTA until you have S-OFF and unlocked bootloader..

p1zaul
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default soff trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaHiLzZ View Post
You MUST get S-OFF before you get 4.4 OTA, as if things go south, you are in big do-do. Read the last 5-6 pages and you will get an idea.

So do NOT install OTA until you have S-OFF and unlocked bootloader..
How do I get soff doesn't seem to work no matter what I try