XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Setting up ADB for my Vibrant on Mac OS X

Tip us?

Ironcheeks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] Setting up ADB for my Vibrant on Mac OS X

I've been following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7237&nocache=1 to set up ADB for my phone and macbook, and when i try the "./adb devices" command to try and ID my device, it isn't working. Ive already downloaded the SDK package from the website, copied and pasted "adb" and "fast boot" into the root of my sdk file in the bundle. I included some snapshots in case I'm inputting the file path incorrectly. Any help would be awesome! My power button stopped working on my phone so I'm trying to set up ADB so i can just adb reboot whenever my phone shuts off or anything like that. The first screenshot is my current file path for the adb and fastboot files and the second is just my attempts at trying the "./adb devices" command.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 3.10.50 PM.png
Views:	393
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	2429182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-02 at 3.11.22 PM.png
Views:	350
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	2429183  

Lgrootnoob
Old
(Last edited by Lgrootnoob; 3rd December 2013 at 12:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcheeks View Post
I've been following this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7237&nocache=1 to set up ADB for my phone and macbook, and when i try the "./adb devices" command to try and ID my device, it isn't working. Ive already downloaded the SDK package from the website, copied and pasted "adb" and "fast boot" into the root of my sdk file in the bundle. I included some snapshots in case I'm inputting the file path incorrectly. Any help would be awesome! My power button stopped working on my phone so I'm trying to set up ADB so i can just adb reboot whenever my phone shuts off or anything like that. The first screenshot is my current file path for the adb and fastboot files and the second is just my attempts at trying the "./adb devices" command.
First, it's impossible to access your phone's adbd server when it is off.
And adb needs to be in the current folder.
Use ls to see the contents of the folder you are in.
You should try ./adb first.

It's better to boot hirens boot cd.
Then use the tool in my signature.

An even better way to do this is to trust your technolust and take your phone apart and try to identify and fix the problem, or put it back to stock and send it in for warranty.
No need to download the whole android sdk or put adb in your path anymore!
Just extract my tool and run the adbClientLaunch script.
To get started go here >
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=adbclient
My name is Jacob Lane but I prefer to go by Lgrootnoob. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lgrootnoob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ironcheeks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgrootnoob View Post
First, it's impossible to access your phone's adbd server when it is off.
And adb needs to be in the current folder.
Use ls to see the contents of the folder you are in.
You should try ./adb first.

It's better to boot hirens boot cd.
Then use the tool in my signature.

An even better way to do this is to trust your technolust and take your phone apart and try to identify and fix the problem, or put it back to stock and send it in for warranty.
Thanks for giving such a helpful response what do you mean by adb needs to be in the current folder? and what is Is?
And I'm definitely planning on taking it apart. As soon as i can find a small enough screwdriver somewhere on campus, ill get right on it. Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironcheeks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lgrootnoob
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for giving such a helpful response what do you mean by adb needs to be in the current folder? and what is Is?
And I'm definitely planning on taking it apart. As soon as i can find a small enough screwdriver somewhere on campus, ill get right on it. Thanks again!
Your welcome!
I'm happy to help any time.

the . indicates the current folder(directory)
so when you type ./adb
it executes the adb file in . (the current folder)

ls is a command for listing the contents of the current folder. (Just like the dir command on windows)

Before you type ./adb you would want to make sure that adb is in . (The current folder)

Get it?
To get started go here >
The Following User Says Thank You to Lgrootnoob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ironcheeks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Your welcome!
I'm happy to help any time.

the . indicates the current folder(directory)
so when you type ./adb
it executes the adb file in . (the current folder)

ls is a command for listing the contents of the current folder. (Just like the dir command on windows)

Before you type ./adb you would want to make sure that adb is in . (The current folder)

Get it?
Ahhh that makes sense.. so when I'm running terminal and since the adb file is in the sdk folder, i should make the command path (cd /Users/..etc) go up to the sdk folder in this case?

Ironcheeks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Ahhh that makes sense.. so when I'm running terminal and since the adb file is in the sdk folder, i should make the command path (cd /Users/..etc) go up to the sdk folder in this case?
Nevermind! got it to work after doing the above^. Thanks again for your help so any helpful adb commands i should know about? all i know is adb reboot and adb reboot recovery :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironcheeks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lgrootnoob
Old
(Last edited by Lgrootnoob; 3rd December 2013 at 07:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nevermind! got it to work after doing the above^. Thanks again for your help so any helpful adb commands i should know about? all i know is adb reboot and adb reboot recovery :P
adb start-server
adb kill-server
adb push file destination
adb pull file destination(>optional)
adb shell (Open a terminal on the device in your pc terminal window)
adb reboot
adb reboot-bootloader(Only useful if your device will stay at the bootloader for fastboot stuff eg: nexus and htc devices)
adb reboot recovery

examples for adb pull would be
adb pull /sdcard/dcim/
adb push doggy.jpg /sdcard/Download/doggy.jpg

There has got to be an adb guide here somewhere on Xda.
If not then go look up some common adb commands.

Have fun with adb.
(I'm anxious to see you fix your phone.)

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I'm also sure that you know to use the ./ before adb with all of these commands right?

adb guide for windows

Even though its an adb guide for windows, im sure you'll be able to get just as much knowledge from it.
They also might have something on xda university for this stuff.(Which you should totally check out )
http://xda-university.com/
To get started go here >

Ironcheeks
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
adb start-server
adb kill-server
adb push file destination
adb pull file destination(>optional)
adb shell (Open a terminal on the device in your pc terminal window)
adb reboot
adb reboot-bootloader(Only useful if your device will stay at the bootloader for fastboot stuff eg: nexus and htc devices)
adb reboot recovery

examples for adb pull would be
adb pull /sdcard/dcim/
adb push doggy.jpg /sdcard/Download/doggy.jpg

There has got to be an adb guide here somewhere on Xda.
If not then go look up some common adb commands.

Have fun with adb.
(I'm anxious to see you fix your phone.)

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I'm also sure that you know to use the ./ before adb with all of these commands right?

adb guide for windows

Even though its an adb guide for windows, im sure you'll be able to get just as much knowledge from it.
They also might have something on xda university for this stuff.(Which you should totally check out )
http://xda-university.com/
Thank you for all your help!