XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bad Vibrate Motor?

Tip us?

AndroidGreg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default Bad Vibrate Motor?

I think my vibrate motor is either going bad or has a short, the phone will vibrate sometimes and not others, i thought it was a software problem but after a wipe and it still happening i realised if i hit the phone on its side that the vibrate will come back.

I cant find in the teardown threads where the motor is for if I took it apart. I dont have a waranty anymore cuz of my unlocked bootloader and dont wana risk getting a locked down one by the phone insurance.
Rocking out on: Current: Droid Razr Maxx HD, JB, Rooted, Not unlockable
Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013) Unlocked, Rooted
Apple: iPod touch 5th gen iOS 7.0 Jailbroken (idk why its worthless anymore)
Computers:HP Envy 15 3k i7Q ATI 7650m, 500 GB HDD, 6gb Ram, Win 7.
(New) Late 2013 MBPr, 2.6 ghz i7, Nvidia GTX 750m 1TB SSD, 16GB Ram

moonrakerone
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidGreg View Post
I think my vibrate motor is either going bad or has a short, the phone will vibrate sometimes and not others, i thought it was a software problem but after a wipe and it still happening i realised if i hit the phone on its side that the vibrate will come back.

I cant find in the teardown threads where the motor is for if I took it apart. I dont have a waranty anymore cuz of my unlocked bootloader and dont wana risk getting a locked down one by the phone insurance.
I have the same issue. A quick shake and it works again. What's weird for me is it's only an issue with haptic feedback. Notification vibration always works for me.

jewbydoo
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hey fellas. Unfortunately, it's a hardware problem. Go ahead and take it to VZW to get a replacement.

My story: the vibrate went bad on my first Razr, and they just shipped a new one to my house. I spent a good majority of my five-day time limit to return the defective one trying to remove all trace of rooting/unlocking/etc...

You may know that once you unlock the bootloader, you can never relock it. You can't unblow the fuse - believe me, I researched. I factory reset my phone, nervously gave up on the bootloader, and shipped it back. I was nervous due to not knowing how thoroughly they check for unlocked bootloaders.

It's been about a month and I haven't heard anything. No guarantee that you'll have the same luck, but there's not much you can do if you have unlocked your bootloader.

One more downside, one I didn't think of until I had already placed the order: They WILL ship you phone with software passed 9.20, meaning you cannot unlock your bootloader on your replacement Razr.

Does't matter much since you can still root it. And we're getting 4.4 sometime in the future.