XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Wifi tether options?

Tip us?

pcm2a
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Wifi tether options?

New to T-Mobile coming from an unlimited Verizon plan with native unlimited tethering courtesy of the custom rom on my S3. Now that I have the Note 3 what are my options? I have rooted the phone but not applied any rom/recovery/bootloader.

- Native tethering cuts me off at 2.5 gigs for the unlimited plan, do I have that right?

- Wifi tether from the market does not work, tried it...

- Foxfi would beat the T-Mobile tracking allowing unlimited tethering?

- Would a custom rom delivery unlimited tethering from the native app?

dragonsamus
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Hey, I have been looking for a way to tether as well and I just found it. I am running the lastest version of Darthstalker ROM version 5. It has native tethering. Once you get that installed, go to your APN settings and change APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4/IPv6. If you need any help, please let me know. Good luck!
work hard, play harder

pcm2a
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
Hey, I have been looking for a way to tether as well and I just found it. I am running the lastest version of Darthstalker ROM version 5. It has native tethering. Once you get that installed, go to your APN settings and change APN protocol from IPv6 to IPv4/IPv6. If you need any help, please let me know. Good luck!
Now I could already use the native tether (even before rooting) but there was some limit from what I read. Has anyone hit that limit?

Does using the rom allow you to bypass the limit?

CalcProgrammer1
Old
Thanks Meter 543
I don't know for sure on the Note 3, but on my Note 1 with CM10.2 (now CM11) I am able to tether as much as I want on a non-tethering prepaid plan. When I try the same thing on my Note 3 (using N9005 ROM so no T-Mo modified tether menu) it successfully connects the laptop but only ever goes to the T-Mobile account login website when I try browsing. I tethered on a train ride last weekend and had to swap my SIM over to my Note 1 for tethering. Is this due to the IPv4/IPv6 issue? I have the Note 1 set to IPv4 because the CM10.2 ROM crashed on IPv6 randomly.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-900T 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717 16GB
HP TouchPad 32GB
Archos 43 Internet Tablet - 16GB + 32GB mSD
Dell Axim X50v - 128MB + 16GB CF

dragonsamus
Old
(Last edited by dragonsamus; 5th December 2013 at 02:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
I believe T-Mobile gives you 2.5 GB of free tethering. When I tether it uses my unlimited data. I checked my plan online and it said I used over 38 GB of data.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you have to use a browser spoofer to prevent tmobile from knowing you're tethering. I mainly use Chrome browser and I have it set as if it's android.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
work hard, play harder

blkfire50
Old
(Last edited by blkfire50; 5th December 2013 at 04:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Just got my Note 3 today I just had to make new apn. IPv4 is default I am using a vpn. Stock apn settings wouldn't let me connect.already used up my 500mb and still going strong