Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (8.4.6)
Hi. I have some questions regarding this device, for which I've bought for my son as an Xmas gift.
Firstly I've noticed a few things and confirmed things I've researched about this device:
- It is based on Android, which was obvious as soon as I side loaded es file explorer and checked out the SD contents.
- It is running at around 30-50% of its full potential, due to the super persistent Amazon apps that run in the background, and low amount of customisation options.
- The advertisements on the lock screen... WTF.
- Unable to use mx player pro as a default video player for lovefilm, which sucks.
- The carousel is nice looking but it auto adds things which is highly annoying.
- The parental controls are good.
So that's just a small list and I'm sure I haven't quite listed everything yet but I want to move onto some questions about rooting the device:
1. Does rooting and installing cyanogenmod improve the memory use and performance? May be an obvious answer but it's always good to know people's opinions.
2. Can any of the Amazon apps be used on cyanogenmod, so that the device still feels like a Kindle. E.g. the launcher and carousel, and the parental controls? I like the big HD icons. This will be used regularly by my son so I need strong security controls.
3. Being an unofficial port, does cm come with any usual and/or unusual bugs? Such as rotation bugs, fcs and reboots.
4. Does cm use the full quality of the sound and display? The resolution and sound quality is great as it is, I'd hate to sacrifice those for better memory.
5. Anything else that I might expect or information that would be helpful please.
FYI I've unlocked, rooted and flashed many devices, so I know roughly the benefits and disadvantages.
Sent from the dark side of the moon.
Want to know how to boost your devices performance and battery life? See my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2495269