XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (8.4.6)

Tip us?

iKlutz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
Default Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (8.4.6)

Hi. I have some questions regarding this device, for which I've bought for my son as an Xmas gift.

Firstly I've noticed a few things and confirmed things I've researched about this device:

- It is based on Android, which was obvious as soon as I side loaded es file explorer and checked out the SD contents.

- It is running at around 30-50% of its full potential, due to the super persistent Amazon apps that run in the background, and low amount of customisation options.

- The advertisements on the lock screen... WTF.

- Unable to use mx player pro as a default video player for lovefilm, which sucks.

- The carousel is nice looking but it auto adds things which is highly annoying.

- The parental controls are good.

So that's just a small list and I'm sure I haven't quite listed everything yet but I want to move onto some questions about rooting the device:

1. Does rooting and installing cyanogenmod improve the memory use and performance? May be an obvious answer but it's always good to know people's opinions.

2. Can any of the Amazon apps be used on cyanogenmod, so that the device still feels like a Kindle. E.g. the launcher and carousel, and the parental controls? I like the big HD icons. This will be used regularly by my son so I need strong security controls.

3. Being an unofficial port, does cm come with any usual and/or unusual bugs? Such as rotation bugs, fcs and reboots.

4. Does cm use the full quality of the sound and display? The resolution and sound quality is great as it is, I'd hate to sacrifice those for better memory.

5. Anything else that I might expect or information that would be helpful please.

FYI I've unlocked, rooted and flashed many devices, so I know roughly the benefits and disadvantages.

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

Want to know how to boost your devices performance and battery life? See my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2495269

LinearEquation
Old
(Last edited by LinearEquation; 4th December 2013 at 12:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
- It is based on Android, which was obvious as soon as I side loaded es file explorer and checked out the SD contents.
Side loading a file explorer does nothing because you have no file explorer in the first place. You have to regester the Kindle first if you wish to view files without modding/rooting first.

Quote:
- It is running at around 30-50% of its full potential, due to the super persistent Amazon apps that run in the background, and low amount of customisation options.
Really there is no way to customize without at least rooting it.

Quote:
- The advertisements on the lock screen... WTF.
You have to pay Amazon 15 dollars to have them remove them or use Kindle Fire First Aide to remove them.

Quote:
1. Does rooting and installing cyanogenmod improve the memory use and performance?
Rooting lets you pull the bloatware out of the system and customize (some) as well as Google Play. A custom ROM gives you the full Android experience. You will lose a few Amazon reature like Prime movie viewing.

Quote:
2. Can any of the Amazon apps be used on cyanogenmod, so that the device still feels like a Kindle. E.g. the launcher and carousel, and the parental controls? I like the big HD icons. This will be used regularly by my son so I need strong security controls.
You may want to just root and add Google Play then. This only adds to your abilities without removing the Amazon experience. The Kinology ROM will add much more as well but it not a full Android ROM. A custom ROMed and rooted tablet is not something you want a kid playing with unsupervised. That can go wrong so many ways. Amazon prime, Bookshelf and whispernet are lost with a custom ROM. You can always quick flash a nandroid and be back on Amazon in a couple minutes though.

Quote:
3. Being an unofficial port, does cm come with any usual and/or unusual bugs? Such as rotation bugs, fcs and reboots.
I have no problems with CM 10.1 or CM 10.2. CM 11 KitKat is still in Beta.

Quote:
4. Does cm use the full quality of the sound and display? The resolution and sound quality is great as it is, I'd hate to sacrifice those for better memory.
See above answer. Some people say they have had some issue. I have not.

Quote:
5. Anything else that I might expect or information that would be helpful please.
Edit: Make sure you read the threads thoroughly and when you do mod, make sure it is for your model Kindle. The mods for the Kindle's are specific to your Kindle. Your's is Kindle Fire HD 8.9" jem.

Quote:
FYI I've unlocked, rooted and flashed many devices, so I know roughly the benefits and disadvantages.
You won't be unlocking this bootloader as this bootloader is not unlockable. You will be flashing a 2nd bootloader and TWRP to be able to flash the ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LinearEquation For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iKlutz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 151
So by rooting I can install google play and remove some bloatware, this seems like the best option. This also keeps the rom intact, but it's a shame about the carousel icons that'll be low res from google play. I'll still have a good think about it before I make a decision, and thank you for your helpful responses.:thumbup:

Sent from the dark side of the moon.

Want to know how to boost your devices performance and battery life? See my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2495269

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
You're welcome.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM 11 KitKat 4.4 using xda app-developers
[ROOT]
2013 KFHD7 KFSOWI with firmware 11.x.x.x KFSOWI (no camera/no HDMI output) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544736 Post 10 at the link has instructions to block Amazon OTA updates on KFHD 7 KFSOWI
Remove Ads from Lockscreen KFHD7 2013 KFSOWI http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48623841