5,597,762 Members 36,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does root allow APN changes?

Tip us?

tehdaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Does root allow APN changes?

To anyone who's rooted their Moto G : Are you able to edit or add profiles to your APN settings after doing so? When I attempt to add another profile I'm brought back to the previous screen without any changes being made. The default (Telus') APN's are greyed out and unchangeable.

I'm intending to give this device to someone over the holidays, and I'm looking to alter the APN settings to only allow MMS traffic through. I'd like to know if it's possible before sacrificing the warranty.

If it does let you alter it, would you kindly please tell me the method you've used?

jcampbell120
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdaw View Post
To anyone who's rooted their Moto G : Are you able to edit or add profiles to your APN settings after doing so? When I attempt to add another profile I'm brought back to the previous screen without any changes being made. The default (Telus') APN's are greyed out and unchangeable.

I'm intending to give this device to someone over the holidays, and I'm looking to alter the APN settings to only allow MMS traffic through. I'd like to know if it's possible before sacrificing the warranty.

If it does let you alter it, would you kindly please tell me the method you've used?
I had this problem when trying to set up Orange UK's APN information (EE). It wouldn't save with all the information, just deleted the existing one and entered the name and APN fields and it saved. It then did everything else itself.

Hope it helps.

lost101
Old
(Last edited by lost101; 4th December 2013 at 10:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 304
I have rooted and installed Auto Hide Soft Keys and that gives me a menu option on the Navigation Bar: Delete APN, Save, Discard.

Without rooting, you could try installing a different launcher and see if that will give you the menu option.

tehdaw
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies!

I ended up rooting the phone using paulobrien's 1st method without difficulty. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2553467)

The APN settings were still unchangeable unfortunately. I also couldn't find any option to delete the APNs in Auto Hide Soft Keys, although now that I think about it I didn't try any gestures while actually viewing the actual APN's settings.

I was able to install Ritesh Sahu's APN Backup & Restore, and followed the instructions on the PlayStore page of the app for 4.0+ devices (Converting the file to a system app). After doing this, I was able to delete the APN settings from that app, then suddenly I was able to add my own custom APN within the regular menu.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future!

lost101
Old
Thanks Meter 304
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Here are some pictures to demonstrate what I meant.

Stock Launcher:

Auto Hide Soft Keys Navigation Bar with 'Hide Soft Keys' enabled:

It might be possible the option was already there in Stock, I never checked. Or the option might be available if an alternative launcher was installed. Rooting may not be necessary.

shaftenberg
Old
Thanks Meter 657
I need only to tap on the apn name... Delete/Remove/etc.
And with the + sign I can insert new apns.