5,605,120 Members 37,580 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will flashing stock firmware from another region trip Knox?

Tip us?

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Question [Q] Will flashing stock firmware from another region trip Knox?

I have ordered one of these Note 10.1 2014 tablets and have a few noobish questions.

1) From the shipping tracking info, it's coming out of Hong Kong, so I assume most likely it will have the Hong Kong stock firmware. Since I might be interchanging 2 or 3 European languages when I'm using the tablet, I'll probably flash one of the latest UK stock firmwares from sammobile. Would flashing a stock firmware from another region trip the Knox efuse/counter?

2) At this point, I've read somewhere on the forums that I should do a factory reset to affect the changes in the language set. Is this down in download (volume down) or recovery (volume up) mode? And doing this won't affect the Knox counter either, right?

3) I also plan on rooting the tablet using the URDLV method.

4) And lastly, I've heard of freezing Knox apps using Titanium Backup (which I have). What happens if I don't freeze them? And if I should freeze them, which apps should be frozen?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Anyone have any clue regarding any of the above points? Thanks!

benni2903
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
I have ordered one of these Note 10.1 2014 tablets and have a few noobish questions.

1) From the shipping tracking info, it's coming out of Hong Kong, so I assume most likely it will have the Hong Kong stock firmware. Since I might be interchanging 2 or 3 European languages when I'm using the tablet, I'll probably flash one of the latest UK stock firmwares from sammobile. Would flashing a stock firmware from another region trip the Knox efuse/counter?

2) At this point, I've read somewhere on the forums that I should do a factory reset to affect the changes in the language set. Is this down in download (volume down) or recovery (volume up) mode? And doing this won't affect the Knox counter either, right?

3) I also plan on rooting the tablet using the URDLV method.

4) And lastly, I've heard of freezing Knox apps using Titanium Backup (which I have). What happens if I don't freeze them? And if I should freeze them, which apps should be frozen?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
1) Flashing a samsung signed firmware via Odin should not increase the knox counter. I have a german device of the p600 and flashed the us firmware on it. My knox counter was 0.
2) It is recommended to do a factory reset after updating your firmware so you can enjoy a clean system. Dont know what you mean with language setting :P but it is not necessary to do a factory reset after changing the language.
3) Go ahead! i really think that rooting the note 10.1 shows the real power of the device
4) Knox apps should be freezed because they will give you security notifications every time a apps gets superuser permissions.
Just do a search in titanium backup with the keyword "knox" and freeze all those apps which will come up

Have fun with your device

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

s2kdriver80
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by benni2903 View Post
1) Flashing a samsung signed firmware via Odin should not increase the knox counter. I have a german device of the p600 and flashed the us firmware on it. My knox counter was 0.
2) It is recommended to do a factory reset after updating your firmware so you can enjoy a clean system. Dont know what you mean with language setting :P but it is not necessary to do a factory reset after changing the language.
3) Go ahead! i really think that rooting the note 10.1 shows the real power of the device
4) Knox apps should be freezed because they will give you security notifications every time a apps gets superuser permissions.
Just do a search in titanium backup with the keyword "knox" and freeze all those apps which will come up

Have fun with your device

Benni2903, thanks for your feedback. Regarding #2, yes flashing a firmware from a different region changed the language list right away. I thought I needed to do a reset as per other posts in the forums. I did a reset anyway for good measure. Unfortunately, following the URDLV method triggered my Knox flag. After that, froze the 7 of the Knox apps in TB. Should be 6, but for some reason, I have 2 entries for "KNOX 1.0" so I just froze both of them. Here's my full account of my rooting endeavor...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554510

benni2903
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
Benni2903, thanks for your feedback. Regarding #2, yes flashing a firmware from a different region changed the language list right away. I thought I needed to do a reset as per other posts in the forums. I did a reset anyway for good measure. Unfortunately, following the URDLV method triggered my Knox flag. After that, froze the 7 of the Knox apps in TB. Should be 6, but for some reason, I have 2 entries for "KNOX 1.0" so I just froze both of them. Here's my full account of my rooting endeavor...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2554510
Nice reaction about tripping knox
Honestly I dont really care about Knox. If i screw up my device there is no reason to blame Samsung :P if something happens to my device in fact of a failure from samsung then they will replace it but most problems can be solved with odin and the xda forum

The Following User Says Thank You to benni2903 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
efuse, knox, stock firmware, stock rom