[Q] Phone Freezes at Galaxy S$ Splash Screen

Tip us?

brando56894
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Phone Freezes at Galaxy S$ Splash Screen

Ok this isn't your typical soft brick/bootloop but it has been happening occasionally ever since I got the phone back in August. Sometimes after I flash a new ROM or just simply reboot the phone it will hang at the Samsung Galaxy S4 splash screen indefinitely and I either have to hold down the power button to turn it off or do a battery pull. Once I do it's usually fine for a while and boots up correctly. It's been happening more often now with Kit Kat. I just dirty flashed the newest build of Euroskank's CM11 over a two day old build of the same and it has done it about two or three times. Once a battery pull didn't even fix it and it had to do it a second time. I wish there was a way to get kernel output (dmesg) during bootup so I could actually see what the hell is going on. Is the kernel panicking? Is the initrd not loading or decompressing correctly? I saw that Chainfire had an app for this but it just FCs on Kit Kat.

Has anyone else ever had this happen with the S4 or know of any way to investigate it via ADB or some other method?

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando56894 View Post
Ok this isn't your typical soft brick/bootloop but it has been happening occasionally ever since I got the phone back in August. Sometimes after I flash a new ROM or just simply reboot the phone it will hang at the Samsung Galaxy S4 splash screen indefinitely and I either have to hold down the power button to turn it off or do a battery pull. Once I do it's usually fine for a while and boots up correctly. It's been happening more often now with Kit Kat. I just dirty flashed the newest build of Euroskank's CM11 over a two day old build of the same and it has done it about two or three times. Once a battery pull didn't even fix it and it had to do it a second time. I wish there was a way to get kernel output (dmesg) during bootup so I could actually see what the hell is going on. Is the kernel panicking? Is the initrd not loading or decompressing correctly? I saw that Chainfire had an app for this but it just FCs on Kit Kat.

Has anyone else ever had this happen with the S4 or know of any way to investigate it via ADB or some other method?
What recovery are you using? And what version if it?

I know this was a common problem when TWRP first updated to version 2.6 (though I think they've smoothed that out with later released of 2.6.x)

So it could be recovery related.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!
Tags
art, cyanogenmod, galaxy, gs4, soft brick