XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

On the fence, can you help me decide

Tip us?

All-Or-Nothing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default On the fence, can you help me decide

I don't know about ideal but I have my own personal requirements.

1. Notifications for Text messages, Phone Calls and Emails. I don't use Facebook or Twitter anymore but I do understand lots of people still do so those would be important as well.

2. Ability to dismiss incoming calls or answer. I hate those bluetooth headsets so talking directly into the watch would be better for ME. Don't know how well that would work but if the call is important enough or private than have the ability to swap over to just the phone.

3. The screen is so small games really won't matter to me but the ability to go to Playstore and download various Apps would be ideal. Don't really know what I would really need on my watch as any Apps I use regularly I would rather see on my 5" screen.

4. Calendar with Notifications would be great as I could set dates and times on my phone and be alerted thru the watch.

5. Not much else is really required besides changing watch faces to different designs and the occasional trip to the internet on the fly with readable screens. Sometimes I need to google something and it would be great to be able to do this at random.

Currently I am looking at the SmartQ Z Watch and the ZGPAX S5 Smartwatch

coolface
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have had this watch for 2 days, comments as below:-

1. This works perfectly.

2. I haven't figured out how you can talk directly into the watch. I do not think this is possible yet although you can plug in a headset and has a built in microphone. With the updates coming in weekly I assume this might be possible through an update.

3. Playstore is not pre-installed. Anyways I do not think most of the apps would work in Playstore since they are not tailored for the screen size.

4. No problem with this either.

5. No inbuilt web browser but I assume you can install one, some of the custom roms has this I have read.

All-Or-Nothing
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolface View Post
I have had this watch for 2 days, comments as below:-

1. This works perfectly.

2. I haven't figured out how you can talk directly into the watch. I do not think this is possible yet although you can plug in a headset and has a built in microphone. With the updates coming in weekly I assume this might be possible through an update.

3. Playstore is not pre-installed. Anyways I do not think most of the apps would work in Playstore since they are not tailored for the screen size.

4. No problem with this either.

5. No inbuilt web browser but I assume you can install one, some of the custom roms has this I have read.

What watch do you have???

BigBison420
Old
Thanks Meter 443

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post

1. Notifications for Text messages, Phone Calls and Emails. I don't use Facebook or Twitter anymore but I do understand lots of people still do so those would be important as well.

2. Ability to dismiss incoming calls or answer. I hate those bluetooth headsets so talking directly into the watch would be better for ME. Don't know how well that would work but if the call is important enough or private than have the ability to swap over to just the phone.

3. The screen is so small games really won't matter to me but the ability to go to Playstore and download various Apps would be ideal. Don't really know what I would really need on my watch as any Apps I use regularly I would rather see on my 5" screen.

4. Calendar with Notifications would be great as I could set dates and times on my phone and be alerted thru the watch.

5. Not much else is really required besides changing watch faces to different designs and the occasional trip to the internet on the fly with readable screens. Sometimes I need to google something and it would be great to be able to do this at random.

I have ZGPAX - they haven't released software for the notifications and call handling options, like the Galaxy Gear has... but it's a great device for sure!

alcuin
Old
(Last edited by alcuin; 5th December 2013 at 07:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post

I have zgpax.

Mine came with playstore preinstalled. Can run most ICS compatible applications, oddly though launchers ie Nova Launcher do not work. There is no home button anyway. Switching between programs involves using the back button a lot and switching from the home screen/watch launcher. ADW launcher works but every time the phone is turned on the clock launcher starts instead. Don't know how to switch default.

Google calendar is preinstalled.

I use MySMS to mirror text messages from my main phone, and use a prepaid sim with cheap data just for notifications, ie gmail, ebay.

Do not get SmartQ Z watch if running apps is important to you. It runs a MIPS cpu instead of an ARM cpu, and most apps will not run on MIPS by default.

ZGPAX is not rooted by default but can be very easily.

No volume buttons, volume is best controlled by quick volume profiles from notification tray. Four profiles are set by default, general, silent, meeting (vibrate mode), and outdoor (loud mode).

Only buttons are power and back. Menu button is soft button in notification tray next to clock.

Wifi reception has been excellent for something of this size, though understandably a little slowish.

juggamonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcuin View Post
Do not get SmartQ Z watch if running apps is important to you. It runs a MIPS cpu instead of an ARM cpu, and most apps will not run on MIPS by default.
Actually on the smartq z watch most apps excluding a lot of games work just fine without MIP compatibility or MIPS conversion . some have screen issues but that problem lies with any smartwatch .

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app