XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone else find this?

Tip us?

reubenskelly1992
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default Anyone else find this?

I I find the screen amazing, as u can see although not as good as 2012 the whites are good, but what's with the yellows, there very dark and muggy. Anyone else find this?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1386246266762.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	2434429  

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3804
No display is ever "accurate." The question is which colors of the spectrum are closest. Here's the N10.1-14 (left) against the N3 (right).

Here's my N3 displaying the same yellow background as my N10.1-14

And actually the N10.1-14 does better than the N10.1-12 on whites; at least the example Anandtech tested.

RTbar
Old
Thanks Meter 11
i noticed my Google Keep and IMDB icons were alot darker than on my old touchpad

reubenskelly1992
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Ah Ah ok just checking, not like people really look at yellow unless highlighting pages

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenskelly1992 View Post
Ah Ah ok just checking, not like people really look at yellow unless highlighting pages
This is from Anandtech's review of the N5. There's been lots of grumbling in their forum about "washed out" colors.
It’s interesting to hear some Nexus 5 users complain that the display seems undersaturated, since that kind of end user feedback reflects subjective comparison. It also suggests to me that a large percentage of the population doesn’t know what some colors or system elements actually should be. Even for me, looking at the green elements inside the Google Play store on the Note 3 in movie mode or Nexus 5 initially seemed slightly more muted than normal. The reality is that this is what they actually should look like. We’ve just become accustomed to their oversaturated appearance on virtually every other device.

This kind of expectation about what looks right and what doesn’t is rather telling for the state of display calibration in Android handsets, and how OEMs have used oversaturated colors to increase retail shelf appeal. Unfortunately the reality is that oversaturated colors do seem to win taste tests among shoppers, the same way that TVs in most big boxes do. We’ve been looking at them for so long that well calibrated displays like Nexus 5 initially do look noticeably different.

So I don't know if the N10.1-14's yellows are closer to "right" or not but they are certainly close to the N3's. I'll admit I like oversaturated colors even though I know they aren't real. Assuming the N10.1-14's movie mode is closer to natural like the N3's try using it for a bit. It does look washed out even though it's technically more correct. Exaggerated colors on a small display actually have an advantage via greater separation from each other making things easier to view. At least IMHO.

reubenskelly1992
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
I I think most colours are pretty natural on this, which you find with lcd. I love the screen though